Recieving Emails addressed to someone else

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thats what it is meant to do.
Even when the correct address is different to mine?
I really don't understand this.
The emails are from FedEx with tracking information about a delivery of some engine oil to a home address in Suffolk - giving delivery time slots etc.

Even when the correct address is different to mine?
I really don't understand this.
The emails are from FedEx with tracking information about a delivery of some engine oil to a home address in Suffolk - giving delivery time slots etc.
Since Google does not allow dots when a username without dots exist. it is likely to be an error from the person ordering the stuff.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
When I originally tried to register my email address as namename it said that the address was already taken......so I put a dot in the middle and it accepted it.
From that, I would infer that the address I'm receiving emails for actually exists for someone else.
So, I still don't understand how I'm getting their emails.

When I originally tried to register my email address as namename it said that the address was already taken......so I put a dot in the middle and it accepted it.
From that, I would infer that the address I'm receiving emails for actually exists for someone else.
Wow, that stumped me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
an email address the decimal point should be stripped out of the local part, Ian.Smith should be converted to IanSmith before being processed any further.

Not sure how that works.

My work email is myfirstname.mysecondname@...

Leaving out the dot results in an undelivered message, I know this because I've just tried it.

Alex321

Veteran
I think that you must have mistyped namename when you first tried to create it (possibly to the value of the guy the emails you are now receiving are actually intended for).

Google mail totally ignores any dots in the part before the @, both when creating the account and when directing emails to it.

So namename@gmail.com, name.name@gmail.com, n.a.m.e.n.a.m.e@gmail.com will all be seen by the google email servers as being namename@gmail.com, and all will be directed to the same account.

If they are not SPAM, then the person who ordered that engine oil has mistyped their email address when ordering, and has got your address but with a dot in a different place.

Alex321

Veteran
Not sure how that works.

My work email is myfirstname.mysecondname@...

Leaving out the dot results in an undelivered message, I know this because I've just tried it.
It depends on how your server is set up.

Some email servers will treat addresses with different dots as different.

Most commercial email services (including gmail) don't.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I just tried the same thing with my gmail address. Both emails were returned to me by the gmail server with a message saying,
"550 5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces."

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It depends on how your server is set up.

Some email servers will treat addresses with different dots as different.

Most commercial email services (including gmail) don't.

My employers use Gmail, albeit the end of our addresses is the company name and '.co.uk'.

That's the address I just tested, so it is definitely dot sensitive for my first and last name.

Top Bottom