Recieving Emails addressed to someone else

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
My employers use Gmail, albeit the end of our addresses is the company name and '.co.uk'.

That's the address I just tested, so it is definitely dot sensitive for my first and last name.
In this case Google are acting as the mail host and a different set of rules apply to those than Gmail addresses. Your company can specify the same behaviour if they want, but they clearly haven't in your case.

Gmail addresses may contain dots but the dots are there purely as a presentational item, think the same with capitals. FirstnameSurname@gmail.com is the same as firstnamesurname@gmail.com - it's just easier to read. It's the same address as Firsname.Surname@gmail.com and firstname.surname@gmail.com - if you are unfamilar with these rules then confusion can abound.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like my personal hotmail also needs the dot between my first and last name.

Moral of the story is include the dot, even if you suspect it might be irrelevant.

Good evening,
With Gmail and many other systems I agree that the above is true in practice, but that doesn't conform to the standards which are very clear that the destinations MAY BE CASE SENSITVIE, case sensitivity may not be assumed.

FirstnameSurname@gmail.com does not have to be the same destination as FirstNAMESurname @gmail.com

An email sent to FirstnameSurname@gmail.com or one sent to FirstNAMESurname @gmail.com must be delivered to @gmail.com but what gmail.com does with it based on case is UNSPECIFIED. Gmail can send FirstNAMESurname to a completely different place to FirstnameSurname

Bye

Ian

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of my email addresses is all lower case but google introduces a capital letter at the beginning. Never seems to make any difference.

1634924292920.png

Top Bottom