Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ricd11

Hi all,

I remember reading a thread on stoves and cooking whilst touring, just thought I'd make this thread as a place for any recipes that we all can share. Anything from simple but effective to michelin start bicycle chefing ;)

I've bought a Trangia for my first adventure this summer, had a couple of meals on it to test it out, but my culinary prowess has been limited to pasta, tinned tommies, German sausage, salt and pepper to keep it more like what I will be experiencing.

Not sure if anyone would have any snack recipes too, I personally do like home baked cookies mid-ride, but not sure how they would work on a little stove!

Rich

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Here's your cookies recipe.. there are other recipes on the South African Trangia site

Chocolate Camp Cookies
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup milk
1⁄2 cup margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1⁄4 cup cocoa (optional)
3 cups quick oats

Method:
Mix sugar, milk, and margarine in a bowl. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, making sure it is well cooked or the cookies will be too soft. Remove from heat and pour over other ingredients and mix all in a bowl. Drop cookies by spoonful onto waxed paper or al foil. You can take the margarine, milk powder and sugar already measured and mixed in a container ready to cook and the other ingredients in another container. This will make about 35 cookies and can be done in a large trangia bowl. They are worth the extra weight to have a fresh treat!

Seems to be more hassle than they're worth

vernon

Kedgeree

Peppered mackerel fillets
Two eggs hard boiled
Rice - boiled
Salt to taste
Bit of oil/butter

Break up the fish mix with the boiled rice and chopped boiled egg heat in pan with oil or butter.

Especially delicious with any left over curry sauce from previous night's curry.

vernon

Previous night's curry

Pataks' paste of choice
Onion or two
Tin of tomatoes
Meat or veg of choice
Bit of oil
Follow the instructions on the jar.

Save some sauce for the next morning's kedgeree

vernon

Gerry Attrick said:
Here is my best touring recipe:

Take one titanium or aluminium cup of water, bring to the boil. Dangle one teabag in said boiling water. Add cow juice to taste...et voila. What more is needed?

Sugar?

beastie

Guru
Breakfast omelette per person

1 rasher bacon
1 sausage
1 mushroom
1 potato
2 eggs

1.Dice bacon, mushroom,sausage and potato. Fry till cooked
2.Add eggs stir until nearly cooked then leave for 30 secs more.
3. Flip
4. Eat

beastie

Guru
Damper Bread (a yeastless bread that was traditionally eaten in Australia by early colonial settlers.)
You can cook this on your camping stove but it would work better on a real fire - sit the pan direct on the coals and scoop a few on top of the lid.

Ingredients
3 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
75g of chilled butter, cubed
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup water

Equipment
pan with lid (this is your oven)
tin foil + baking parchment (optional)

Method
1. If using pan only then grease well. If you have foil and or parchment then line pan with foil then place a sheet of parchment on top and grease this.
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Rub butter into dry mix until looks like breadcrumbs.
4. Mix in milk and water.
5. Knead until smooth
6. Shape into round that fits pan and score into wedges
7. Cook for 30 mins - 1hr or longer. Test by tapping,when it sounds hollow it's done

beastie

Guru
When i go camping I cheat a bit on the first night. I make a one pot stew like an irish stew, coq au vin, lamb hotpot etc etc before we leave. Vac pac. Reheat by dropping bag in pan of boiling water. Delicous meal and no washing up

hubbike

Gerry Attrick said:
Here is my best touring recipe:

Take one titanium or aluminium cup of water, bring to the boil. Dangle one teabag in said boiling water. Add cow juice to taste...et voila. What more is needed?
Fantastic! One of my favs. But I have given up on milk. solo bolsita y agua para mi.

Get two peices of bread and put something (that tastes better than bread) between. Eat.

I love this thread and hope it runs and runs. But hopefully does give me the runs.

For "Beer Bread" you'll need:
Flour and Beer
Method:
Add beer to the flour a bit at the time untill you have a good dough consistency.
Put it in a pan with a lid and on a very low heat (trangia or low coals will be perfect)
Rises quite well and is much better than chapatis. Nevertheless its better just to buy bread when available.

My cheap staples are:
1. Spagoup. Boil spaghetti or other pasta. When it is al dente add tomato pureé to thicken whatever water is left. (optionally add shrooms, oxo cube, sweetcorn, salami, etc)
2. Poor man's Rissoto. Rice and stock cube is perfectly reasonable on its own. when budget/availability allows add veg or meat.

BBQ sin BBQ. get a long stick. make kebabs on the end. cook over a fire.
One interesting kebab idea is to get three largish mushrooms. pull off the stalks. stuff them with soft cheese. wrap them with bacon. skewer with a stick through the bacon. cook over fire.

rualexander

Legendary Member
beastie said:
Damper Bread (a yeastless bread that was traditionally eaten in Australia by early colonial settlers.)
You can cook this on your camping stove but it would work better on a real fire - sit the pan direct on the coals and scoop a few on top of the lid.

Ingredients
3 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
75g of chilled butter, cubed
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup water

Equipment
pan with lid (this is your oven)
tin foil + baking parchment (optional)

Method
1. If using pan only then grease well. If you have foil and or parchment then line pan with foil then place a sheet of parchment on top and grease this.
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Rub butter into dry mix until looks like breadcrumbs.
4. Mix in milk and water.
5. Knead until smooth
6. Shape into round that fits pan and score into wedges
7. Cook for 30 mins - 1hr or longer. Test by tapping,when it sounds hollow it's done

A quick way to make Damper over an open fire is to roll the dough into long 'snakes' and coil it around a suitable stick which you then prop over your open fire until it is baked.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hubbike said:
My cheap staples are:
1. Spagoup. Boil spaghetti or other pasta. When it is al dente add tomato pureé to thicken whatever water is left. (optionally add shrooms, oxo cube, sweetcorn, salami, etc)

I've posted elsewhere, my cupasoup noodles...

One pack of instant noodles, the sort you get for 9p in Sainsburys. One sachet of cupasoup, of preferred flavour.

Cook noodles in boiling water. Place soup powder in a mug or bowl and make up with more boiling water (or some of the cooking water I suppose). Make it up on the thick side so as to be a sauce. Drain cooked noodles and mix with soup. Eat.

It's one of the things I make when I get in tired from a ride and can't be bothered to cook anything more elaborate. Chicken soup is my favourite.

Easy to add tinned veg like sweetcorn if you fancy a vitamin.

hubbike

I don't want this thread to die!!! You must all eat therefore you must all have some recipes!!! Another favorite of mine is baking fruit on a fire.
-a cored apple filled with raisons and brown sugar and wrapped in tin foil. Serve with a small tub of cream stolen from a cafe.
-banana with a slit in the skin, push in a cadbury's flake and roast till everything goes mushy
-chocolate fondu with fresh strawberries to dunk. A romantic option!

Top Bottom