Recommend a 7 inch Android tab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Lenovo 7 inch android tab - much prefer it to a Samsung 10 inch thingie I had before - I can easily sling it in a small bag when wandering round town, ram it into panniers or a drybag ontop of my rack when touring with next to no chance of it being damaged, great for looking at OSMand maps offline when on tours/bike rides. Great for reading ebooks. Can easily recharge it from a powerbank which may have been charged by a hub dynamo.

It also syncs with my chromebook which I sometimes even carry on the bike so if I need a keyboard/better experience I can just whip that out.

So has to be Android.

But the battery is eventually showing signs of distress - looses charge rapidly and even when left doing nothing/asleep.

Am looking for cheap - I see these things as essentially disposable (see built-in battery thing above) so no point spending a penny more than I have to.

No need for super super graphics.

No need for dazzling speed for playing games/fighting monsters.

No need for any ability to link to alexa or whatever or to have any form of clever "docking".

No need for "fast charging" - I don't trust it.

With the "continuous improvement" of the industry/more demanding users I can't help but have the idea that the 7 inch tab with basic specs might be being left behind.

Am perfectly willing to consider something supposedly aimed at small kids if the spec is OK - even if in bright pink with a pic of a kitty on the back. (possible kiddie spec occurred to me when I saw a review of some likely candidate where the reviewer said that their four-year old loved it - fine for me - I have no pretensions or shame)

DOES NEED

2GB of RAM (I consider 1GB near-unusable.

16GB onboard storage

card slot for adding more storage.

Will consider 8 inch at a push if the price is right.

Will also consider grade A refurbished - ie essentially new - am thinking that with current global supply issues and christmas maybe pushing up prices it might be an idea to wait until just after christmas when lots of sniffy kids will have rejected their presents and had them returned.

Over to you nice wise folk.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I am going to watch this post,I am thinking of chucking this Amazon Fire tablet 8 it's driving me mad,the keyboard puts in anything it likes even when you take care to spell korrectly.Might treat myself for Xmas.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I am going to watch this post,I am thinking of chucking this Amazon Fire tablet 8 it's driving me mad,the keyboard puts in anything it likes even when you take care to spell korrectly.Might treat myself for Xmas.
yep i know many folk recommend amazon fires as a cheap android-like thing but I've read quite a lot of bad things about them.
I want full android compatibility.
And minimum or no manufacturer installed add-ons that I can't easily remove.
Also should say I am not interested in suggestions that might involve "rooting" or super-cheap things which have questionable standards/might set my house or tent on fire.
Sounds like we have similar unpretentious needs - maybe look for a buy 2 offer :smile:

400ixl

Something isn't right then as that's not a common issue with them. What keyboard are you using and is it set to the correct language and locale.

400ixl

yep i know many folk recommend amazon fires as a cheap android-like thing but I've read quite a lot of bad things about them.
I want full android compatibility.
And minimum or no manufacturer installed add-ons that I can't easily remove.
Also should say I am not interested in suggestions that might involve "rooting" or super-cheap things which have questionable standards/might set my house or tent on fire.
Sounds like we have similar unpretentious needs - maybe look for a buy 2 offer :smile:

You have eliminated 95% of the market there then. The reason many recommend the Fire is they just work for the vast majority and are a good price for the spec.

Maybe a LENOVO Tab M8 Tablet may work for you.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
You have eliminated 95% of the market there then. The reason many recommend the Fire is they just work for the vast majority and are a good price for the spec.

Maybe a LENOVO Tab M8 Tablet may work for you.
yep there don't seem to be many around at such a humble spec - had seen the M8 - that may even have been the one that was recommended for four year olds :smile:

Some Fire questions:

You've found no android compatibity issues with your Fire?
Any apps which don't work properly?
Do you use it with a google account paired to a Chromebook?
Don't Fire's come with a lot of pre-installed junk you can't remove?
Do they feed data back to Amazon?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The problem with Android is it’s a phone OS so some apps may not work well or work at all on a tablet. iOS is tailored for tablet use so everything will work.
Yes and yes to your last two questions.
Sorry the T20 is a little bigger.

400ixl

Compatibility will depend on what apps you plan to use, but on the whole no. I have on a couple added the Google Play store for apps that are not part of the Amazon store. Simple enough to do and does not require rooting.

The only time I have had an issue with an app was where I put Netflix on one from the Play Store rather than Amazon. There was an incompatibility there with the version, fixed by reverting to the Amazon store version.

Not really used it with a Chromebook, depends what you sync I suppose.

Pretty much all tablets come with some pre-installed junk you cannot remove. Fire's can come with or without advertising (One off £10 to get rid).

All Android devices also feed data back to the manufacturer, if you mean via Alexa, then you don't have to use it. Given you use a Chrome Book then you are pumping so much data to Google anyway, it would make little difference.

A Fire Tablet isn't for everyone, it was merely a suggestion that met your original criteria. The Lenovo sounds like it may be a better fit. There are also other Chinese brands that are reasonable, but depends on whether you consider these to be a fire risk.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The problem with Android is it’s a phone OS so some apps may not work well or work at all on a tablet. iOS is tailored for tablet use so everything will work.
Yes and yes to your last two questions.
Sorry the T20 is a little bigger.
don't understand your point on android cyclops - I had the idea that it was just an operating system and that the only difference between a tab and a phone was the lack of cellular connectivity?
In case you are tempted, I have no interest in iOS :smile:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Compatibility will depend on what apps you plan to use, but on the whole no. I have on a couple added the Google Play store for apps that are not part of the Amazon store. Simple enough to do and does not require rooting.

The only time I have had an issue with an app was where I put Netflix on one from the Play Store rather than Amazon. There was an incompatibility there with the version, fixed by reverting to the Amazon store version.

Not really used it with a Chromebook, depends what you sync I suppose.

Pretty much all tablets come with some pre-installed junk you cannot remove. Fire's can come with or without advertising (One off £10 to get rid).

All Android devices also feed data back to the manufacturer, if you mean via Alexa, then you don't have to use it. Given you use a Chrome Book then you are pumping so much data to Google anyway, it would make little difference.

A Fire Tablet isn't for everyone, it was merely a suggestion that met your original criteria. The Lenovo sounds like it may be a better fit. There are also other Chinese brands that are reasonable, but depends on whether you consider these to be a fire risk.
thanks for the detailed reply.
I accept all you say about google of course - what they know about me is frightening - more than I know myself I am sure since I forget stuff.

Top Bottom