Recommend a budget jacket...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AckaDappa

Hi. I have everything I need now to start cycling regularly (Commuting and leisure)
Last thing I need is a jacket or two.
Any good deals around or any recommended jackets?
Doesn't need to be overly warm or waterproof as I have base layers etc.. Just something comfortable that breathes well.
I'm a 44" chest, 36" waist, around 5'9" and 17 stone or so (107kg).
Thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
How budget? Cheap and breathability rarely go together. Look for windproof

Look at cycle-clothing.co.uk for larger sizes

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
Check out the Polaris sale, nice quality and some real bargains, example above.
http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/category-s/1422.htm

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Just received my bib shorts and base layers from Polaris this morning. Very good quality. So this seems a good deal. Although I prefer the grey one but not my size :sad:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
Just received my bib shorts and base layers from Polaris this morning. Very good quality. So this seems a good deal. Although I prefer the grey one but not my size :sad:
Yes grey is nicer, what about the windshear road jacket for the same price. 3 different colours, your size.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

View attachment 339268
Yes grey is nicer, what about the windshear road jacket for the same price. 3 different colours, your size.
That is nice.

Drago

Legendary Member
My cheaper Aldi soft shell is a long serving favourite, well made, durable, and decent looking. They do them in lightweight small sizes so you should have no trouble getting a good fit ;) Seriously, its as good as anything you're likely to get for four times the price.

Custom24

Über Member
My cheaper Aldi soft shell is a long serving favourite, well made, durable, and decent looking. They do them in lightweight small sizes so you should have no trouble getting a good fit ;) Seriously, its as good as anything you're likely to get for four times the price.
Is that the one with the zip off arms?

Polaris stuff is excellent - as I remember telling someone years ago who was dissing Halfords in that lazy cyclist way - my point being that Halfords sold a lot of their stuff - maybe not any more - I had a delivery from them today and need to post on the bargains thread about it.

On your OP, if you are into layering, I can recommend the Aldi waterproof top. £20 when it was last available (only as on occasional special of course) - a while later I saw another for £10 - should have snapped it up.

Be wary of Lidl's "imitation" - £15 but totally unbreathable. Waste of money.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm another for the Altura Night Vision: got mine a couple of years ago on sale for £30.
Even in January temperatures, a base layer and the NV is sufficient.
Totally waterproof too for the (always expected) Scottish downpour.
In 2 years, I reproofed mine once, wear it almost every day.
The Aldi softshell is good, nice and warm, but does not keep you dry, not even on a 5 mile commute.
Then again, neither does my Altura Varium softshell.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Have just ordered the polaris jacket for now.. I have an aldi opening literally 150m from my door next month so can keep popping in and looking for the cycling best.
Good and bad as I feel a lot of money will be spent in their 'middle aisles' :whistle:

Top Bottom