Recommend a budget jacket...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Aldi softshell is good, nice and warm, but does not keep you dry, not even on a 5 mile commute.
Then again, neither does my Altura Varium softshell.

Surprised about your experience with the varium pat. Got mine from that scottish shop after a tip on here.

I've ridden it in two awful awful downpours - one I well remember riding next to the sea in Brighton at the end of a night ride from London - it was chucking it down then and had been in the later stages of the ride for between one and two hours - I laughed with delight at all the weather chucked to me as I retired, dry underneath, to the pub and a nice warm fire.

Have just ordered the polaris jacket for now.. I have an aldi opening literally 150m from my door next month so can keep popping in and looking for the cycling best.
Good and bad as I feel a lot of money will be spent in their 'middle aisles' :whistle:
Even though it's close no need to keep popping in (though it is an excellent shop for all sorts of stuff)- you can sign up to email alerts on their special offers.

Very good to have an Aldi as your local shop - I have to pedal to mine- pedalling straight past my local Sainsburys with its fake offers.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Even though it's close no need to keep popping in (though it is an excellent shop for all sorts of stuff)- you can sign up to email alerts on their special offers.

Very good to have an Aldi as your local shop - I have to pedal to mine- pedalling straight past my local Sainsburys with its fake offers.
Its going right opposite the Morrison's that is also 150m away.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Surprised about your experience with the varium pat. Got mine from that scottish shop after a tip on here.
Yes, so did I, along with @Telemark and a few others from CC Ecosse.
Both mine and @Telemark's Varium jackets are not waterproof at all, actually my Aldi softshell is waterproof for longer in the constant drizzle, but then it's a thicker one.
I have now proofed the Varium in Nixwax, but have worn it it the rain since.
Shall report the findings.

OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Cripes - you're in the middle of a veritable canyon of good value shops.

I do hope you aren't sleeping on a pavement/precinct.

Morrisons not noted for cycling though.
Haha.. no I have got a roof over my head fortunately.

Yes quite lucky as when I bought this house neither supermarket had plans to build here.

@AckaDappa - Decathlon 700 series jacket is nice. I've been riding in mine all winter long - not commuting in it though, I use a hiking jacket for that. Wicking base layer, lightweight fleece and jacket have been plenty warm enough, even when it's been freezing. Has good deep pockets on it and comes with an integral buff. It's windproof but not waterproof - but I have a lightweight pack-a-mac thing that I can wear over the top if need be and stash in a pocket when it's no longer needed.

Sizing comes up a bit small on them though (well, the ladies' ones do at any rate), so best get a size up.

Pat "5mph"

@Pat "5mph" - what's the sizing like on the Altura Night Vision?

Can't find anywhere out here that stocks them so I can try on and then buy online - Tredz have them for £37-ish. Wore out a lot of shoe leather today on that rather fruitless quest.
Be true to your size, they are quite baggy imo.
I am a 12, got a 14 thinking it's cycling gear, normally close fitting, I'll want to wear several layers under.
Should have gotten the 12, I'm sure even a 10 would fit me fine if the baselayer is not too thick.
Fortunately, they have cords at the side to make them tighter, so I got away with it.
I believe some online retailers do free returns.
If you are not in a hurry, winter gear will go on sale in a couple of months.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
actually my Aldi softshell is waterproof for longer in the constant drizzle, but then it's a thicker one.
Sorry to randomly quote but just a recommendation for the Aldi softshell fleece. Because it's windproof it's been enough on even the coldest days this year, but it doesn't get sweaty or hold the rain either. Probably didn't cost much.

Be true to your size, they are quite baggy imo.
I am a 12, got a 14 thinking it's cycling gear, normally close fitting, I'll want to wear several layers under.
Should have gotten the 12, I'm sure even a 10 would fit me fine if the baselayer is not too thick.
Fortunately, they have cords at the side to make them tighter, so I got away with it.
I believe some online retailers do free returns.
If you are not in a hurry, winter gear will go on sale in a couple of months.

Thanks for the heads up - seem to come up big then. :okay: According to the Altura size chart (and my tape measure) I'm actually in between sizes, plus I'm short and curvy which presents its own problems :blush: I'm not in any hurry however. Besides, sale items appeal to me immensely :biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

Thanks for the heads up - seem to come up big then. :okay: According to the Altura size chart (and my tape measure) I'm actually in between sizes, plus I'm short and curvy which presents its own problems :blush: I'm not in any hurry however. Besides, sale items appeal to me immensely :biggrin:
Well, before buying I had measured myself according to their chart: the 12 seemed to just fit my chest, so I decided to go for the 14.
The chart is inaccurate: I should have bought the 12.

My cheaper Aldi soft shell is a long serving favourite, well made, durable, and decent looking. They do them in lightweight small sizes so you should have no trouble getting a good fit ;) Seriously, its as good as anything you're likely to get for four times the price.

If it's the Crane then I second it being good quality for notta lotta sheckels

Top Bottom