Recommend a budget laptop please!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm retiring at the end of the month and will lose my work laptop so need a replacement. I only use it for emailing and web surfing and I'd be willing to spend around £300 to £400.

Any suggestions? I'll get it from PC World.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does it have to be PC World? Would you look at secondhand?

FrankCrank

Professional layabout
I thought the consensus these days for that kind of work was a Chromebook: instant startup, quicker, lighter, better battery life...£200 +/- ought to do it, no?
Good call, forgot about them. If only emailing and web surfing, should suffice.

For the usage you describe I'd get a chromebook.
I have two.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the things
edit - I see I have been beaten to it by others :smile:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can I ask a question (or 2).
I am thinking of a new something or other
What exactly is a chromebook?
I also only surf and email.
Can you download photos to it?
Are there any things it wont do that you think we need to be aware of ?
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks.
Chromebooks aren't designed for work applications I think like Word, Excel, PowerPoint.

Your things it'll do fine

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Dave7 A Chromebook runs on the android chrome operating system which is a much lighter OS than windows so doesn’t need a very powerful processor to run fast. It also uses less power so battery life is longer. Most of the better ones also have a touch screen so you can use it like a tablet, better for viewing media and surfing. They also update automatically
I ditched windows laptops years ago and use a iPad now which is also brilliant for the above tasks and the iOS is a breeze to use. My kids have a Chromebook and it’s also perfect for them, very simple to use. My preference would be for an iPad, go into an Apple and try one.

Thanks.
They are essentially very simple compact long battery life things that use the internet for lots of stuff - they come with a fair wack of free online storage where you can store all of your stuff.

Onboard storage is limited but there is nothing to stop you plugging in a pendrive for more offline storage.

Having most stuff online and little offline is actually something I find protects me from my own recurring stupidity in not backing stuff up properly.

Contrary to what some folk think you can do a fair amount of stuff offline - type documents etc etc.

Yes you can download photos - in fact if you later decide that some are embarassing in any way you can wipe the entire thing and reinstall the system in less time than a windows laptop would take to decide if it needs to update you.

You don't need a virus checker.

You can sync them with an android tab so that all the same stuff is available to you.

Top Bottom