Recommend a budget laptop please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

If you do this I'd be interested in your experience.
Although I know you can do this I fear it may be a bit beyond me.
Will do. My time being taken up by my new hobby now... Cycling... Hah! Actually lent that CB to my daughter who lives with her mums for lockdown, but when get it back will try and remember to let you know ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
The use to which you're likely to out it sounds undemanding - I'd say Chromebook as well. Boot instantly, don't slow down over time and require defragging, no adware problems, perfect for casual use, which is exactly what I use mine for. I reserve my "big" Dell laptop for running SAR management software and mapping, because for pretty much everything else the Chromebook eats it for a firth of the price.

I reserve my "big" Dell laptop for running SAR management software and mapping,

If you have a chromebook which runs android apps (all the current ones and even one of my ageing ones updated to be able to) you can run osmandplus (a fiver for life with updates) on it. I have it on one of my chromebooks which shares an account with the tablet I have it installed on. So both machines have the same stuff on them. OSMand runs offline of course - in that and a few other things it is better than google maps for cycletouring use.

gunja99

The use to which you're likely to out it sounds undemanding - I'd say Chromebook as well. Boot instantly, don't slow down over time and require defragging, no adware problems, perfect for casual use, which is exactly what I use mine for. I reserve my "big" Dell laptop for running SAR management software and mapping, because for pretty much everything else the Chromebook eats it for a firth of the price.
Wow defragging, long time since I've seen that... Lord that was a pain but fun to watch it all clear up! Fortunately these days with SSDs you don't (and actually you can't) defrag them. Thiough data still on spinning rust hey, though the price of SSD's at least pre C19, was coming down to a decent price!

gunja99

If you have a chromebook which runs android apps (all the current ones and even one of my ageing ones updated to be able to) you can run osmandplus (a fiver for life with updates) on it. I have it on one of my chromebooks which shares an account with the tablet I have it installed on. So both machines have the same stuff on them. OSMand runs offline of course - in that and a few other things it is better than google maps for cycletouring use.
Going to look into this OSMAnd app at the weekend. Want a phone navigation for the bike (mount arrives tomorrow or Friday). OSMAnd, and Komoot on my short list atm, due to life time cost, not monthlies that Ride with GPS seems extortionate!

Going to look into this OSMAnd app at the weekend. Want a phone navigation for the bike (mount arrives tomorrow or Friday). OSMAnd, and Komoot on my short list atm, due to life time cost, not monthlies that Ride with GPS seems extortionate!
OSMand is great. One summer they did a half price offer on the plus (no limit on the areas of maps you could download) so £2.50 for life. An absolute bargain.
It actually does far more than I use it for - I don't use it for onbike navigation - use the garmin for that. I can though use my chromebook to manipulate OSMand routes and then chuck them on the garmin. I use it a fair bit on rides for looking at the bigger picture when I'm taking a rest.

gunja99

OSMand is great. One summer they did a half price offer on the plus (no limit on the areas of maps you could download) so £2.50 for life. An absolute bargain.
It actually does far more than I use it for - I don't use it for onbike navigation - use the garmin for that. I can though use my chromebook to manipulate OSMand routes and then chuck them on the garmin. I use it a fair bit on rides for looking at the bigger picture when I'm taking a rest.
Well me love of tech, and my new love of bikes... They do mix well it seems, however... I'm not spending a fortune on a nav computer.... Yet... I will also go to the top end, and boy they ain't cheap (my 945XT watch wasn't but hey I've been running 10 years, and great investment!)

Next year after I get a n+1 and turbo, I may look.

I don't mind spending money on software I use, but these subscriptions for the sake of subs... Give me a one off price any day (looking at you Adobe...)

Well me love of tech, and my new love of bikes... They do mix well it seems, however... I'm not spending a fortune on a nav computer.... Yet... I will also go to the top end, and boy they ain't cheap (my 945XT watch wasn't but hey I've been running 10 years, and great investment!)

Next year after I get a n+1 and turbo, I may look.

I don't mind spending money on software I use, but these subscriptions for the sake of subs... Give me a one off price any day (looking at you Adobe...)
at the risk of a thread divert no need to spend a fortune on a nav computer. I use an Etrex20 and 20x (pretty similar) - one of the cheapest ones. As you get more into this lark you'll find that folk are forever trying to flog you something more expensive (and very often less useful) than what you need.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wow defragging, long time since I've seen that... Lord that was a pain but fun to watch it all clear up! Fortunately these days with SSDs you don't (and actually you can't) defrag them. Thiough data still on spinning rust hey, though the price of SSD's at least pre C19, was coming down to a decent price!
Absolutely! All Chromebooks have been SSD since their introduction in 2011, and it's only now that more expensive alternatives are catching up.

gunja99

Not technically SSD's, eMMC think it is. Don't think many/any CBs with a true SSD other than the expensive ones. eMMC slower than an SSD, but way better than spinning disk... Ooops gone geeky, be a while till I can "geek" about bikes on here ;)

I know we've drifted onto Chromebooks, which is good, but can I go back to laptops. Windows 10 comes with windows defender antivirus as standard, and very good it is too. The op says he will buy from PC world. Years since I've bought anything at one, but they always tried to flog their own 'preferred' antivirus, promising that the bogeyman would come visit if you did not purchase. Now I'm not suggesting the fat commission had anything to do with this (I lie), but is this still the case with W10 & defender?
Another favorite was extended warranties, again to avoid the dreaded bogeyman knocking at your door. A cynic might say this also had something to do with commissions, but not me :whistle:
Just a heads up for the op really :okay:

gunja99

I know we've drifted onto Chromebooks, which is good, but can I go back to laptops. Windows 10 comes with windows defender antivirus as standard, and very good it is too. The op says he will buy from PC world. Years since I've bought anything at one, but they always tried to flog their own 'preferred' antivirus, promising that the bogeyman would come visit if you did not purchase. Now I'm not suggesting the fat commission had anything to do with this (I lie), but is this still the case with W10 & defender?
Another favorite was extended warranties, again to avoid the dreaded bogeyman knocking at your door. A cynic might say this also had something to do with commissions, but not me :whistle:
Just a heads up for the op really :okay:
A chromebook is a laptop? MacBook is an apple laptop, Chromebook a google one, and Windows one a windows one (guess they got surface these days) :smile:

Windows defender built in is perfectly fine, I don't use anything on top of that at home these days. Don't know if they still try the hard sale though.

But warrenty selling tactics, recently tried to sell me extended warrenty on a £30 iron... Though to be fair to them their prices normally match online, you've got somewhere to go if it dies, etc. I do buy things from there these days (not cables, etc). My main laptop was a very badly priced (in customers favour) but knew what specs I was seeing and the price must have been clearance. Had it 5 years and it's fine.

End of day if want to spend under £300, I'd go CB for your use case, over £500 then look windows, in between your call. If got CB make sure it's supported for at least 5 years, if you go windows, make sure you get SSD, and second hand make sure trusted/supported.

Top Bottom