Recommend a courier to collect Ebay bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've seen a bike on Ebay I'd like to bid for, but its 200 miles away, collection only.

Seller has said he/she's happy to arrange a courier if I win the auction.

Does anyone have any experience of using a courier and have any particular recomendations?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't waste your money on DHL, TNT etc. They are the courier equivalent of British Airways; by charging too much they hope some people will believe they are better.

The roads are full of trucks running around empty so get the Yellow Pages out and phone a few local carriers. Inland road freight is ridiculously cheap; for example I have just arranged to get a pallet weighing 250 kilos collected from Northampton and brought to Manchester and the cost is £43 with a carrier called Clarkes. (Not that I'd recommend them because they're a bit ropey!)

Addison Lee?

They have a good reputation among urban cyclists and I believe they have a courier arm.

:troll:

Sorry.... Someone just got my coat for me.

Gary E

Veteran
Train there, ride back. Ideal way to try out a new bike!

But seriously, having had 2 bikes damaged by courier companies I'd look to find someone I know who travels that way or just take the pain and drive there. Can the seller meet you half way if you offer to pay petrol?

This will also let you check the bike before you hand over the money (not all eBay sellers are 100% reliable). If it turns up after being couriered it could be difficult to prove if it was caused in transit of before (with the bike presumably being second hand).

Gary E

Veteran
just a thought....

....people on CC seem quite friendly ^_^ and some of them often mention travelling all over the country. Perhaps if you said where you are and where the bike is, somebody on here could help you out?

Gary E

Veteran
Blimey I'm impressed. Although obviously I could do it easily (in 3 or 4 days)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don`t know if Spirit Couriers ship cycles as they usually deal with motorbikes.

Get in touch with them because they are cheap and first class+ with motorbikes.

Steve

Mike!

Guru
[QUOTE 1815834, member: 45"]I've used Paisley Freight a couple of times. Good, and cheap.[/quote]

+1, although never used them for bikes I've used them for bulky items in the past with great success ( stainless exhaust system, complete car leather interior and alloy wheels....)

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Blummin eck. All irrelevant now as auction as ended early - hate it when that happens!

Thanks for all replies anyway.

MarkF

Guru
I use a couriers every day, they chase ME for their business. A standard charge at the mo' would be something like £18 up to 15kg, 50p per each excess kilo, that's for a next day 8am-5pm Mon-Fri delivery. Shop around......................next time :smile:

Top Bottom