recommend a good horn !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
live in S Wales nr swansea so most of my rides include shared cycle paths with pedestrians, so would like to let them know that sometimes! they wander on the bicycle side of path. Think I need a slogan here HAVE BENT WILL TRAVEL So need a loud horn !! any sugestions please?? PS are there any recumbent riders in swansea??

kevcampbell

i use this product all the time, well worth using it http://goo.gl/IsWXK

3tyretrackterry

when using shared paths i have a small bell and always ask politely if i can come through i find this approach works as well as any other. It also reduces any chance of confrontation about rights of way.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a small ping bell, a BIG Ding Dong bell and an Air Zound on my trikes. The Zound is for waking up drivers who are about to pull out in front of me. The bells for short (Ping) and longer range (Ding dong) warning of my approach for pedestrians and horses.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
When I was riding shared paths, I used to have a little bell, my voice, and an airzound.

The voice is suprisingly quick to deploy, has a range of volumes and offers easy modulation.
The bell is very good at cutting through ear mufflers, conversations, headphones, etc.
The airzound is a traffic to traffic tool.

If the first two didn't work, brakes will be more effective than the third as at least that way you can amble around the obstacle rather than have to negotiate it suddenly leaping 3 foot sideways in shock.

I've only airzounded a ped once. It went something like this:

• Heading through the park, shared path, ped about 120 metres up front, wandering beside the path, hood up, back to me.
  • "Hey!" says I, loud enough to alert them. Nothing. 90 metres.
  • "Ding!" goes I, no response. 60 metres.
  • Should I try the airzound? Hmmm.. Finger hesitates above trigger... 40 metres.
  • I'm a bit close to sound it now. Slow down to about 4mph. Prepare to pass.
  • Ding! "Ahem!" says I, 10 metres from pedestrian. Last chance.
  • 3 metres from ped, he suddenly wanders right, across the path directly in front of my wheel. I grab the brakes, triggering the airzound which is still under my finger. Pedestrian assumes he is about to be killed by a truck and takes a massive dive onto the grass.
Although I think we probably both laughed afterwards, he was actually scared witless at the time. I think if I hadn't stopped he may have gone away with some nasty ideas about cyclists.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've only airzounded a ped once. It went something like this:

• Heading through the park, shared path, ped about 120 metres up front, wandering beside the path, hood up, back to me.
  • "Hey!" says I, loud enough to alert them. Nothing. 90 metres.
  • "Ding!" goes I, no response. 60 metres.
  • Should I try the airzound? Hmmm.. Finger hesitates above trigger... 40 metres.
  • I'm a bit close to sound it now. Slow down to about 4mph. Prepare to pass.
  • Ding! "Ahem!" says I, 10 metres from pedestrian. Last chance.
  • 3 metres from ped, he suddenly wanders right, across the path directly in front of my wheel. I grab the brakes, triggering the airzound which is still under my finger. Pedestrian assumes he is about to be killed by a truck and takes a massive dive onto the grass.
Although I think we probably both laughed afterwards, he was actually scared witless at the time. I think if I hadn't stopped he may have gone away with some nasty ideas about cyclists.

:tongue:

Yorkie Martin

I have to agree with the above - I have an airzound (horn recharged using a standard bike pump), and wouldn't use it to warn pedestrians of my presence - especially in a quiet area such as a park.

These are really for "big city" environments when a "tinkle" or "bring bring" isn't enough. Plus, I am a bit shy to give a call out and end up asking "excuse me madam/sir" - in a style a bit like Sergeant Wilson on Dads Army would do!!

Subflux

+1 AirZound!!

Top Bottom