Recommend a light cheap secondary D lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can someone recomend one of the above.

I am looking for a light lock which can be used as a secondary lock for locking my front wheel to a solid object or at least to the bike - in cafe stops where I can see the bike it may also be used as an easily accessible primary lock.

The bike will be for my 26 inch wheel expedition bike.

I have taken to using such a lock instead of a cable (not a lock, maybe not much lighter and definitely no more secure) as I figured that as a D lock, although only of secondary grade, it will make a thief pause more than ANY cable type device.

Currently around London on my faster day-ride bike I use (with my heavy quality D lock through the rear triangle) this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bik...MI9pqHg8yq2QIVzZ3tCh1qrg0wEAQYAiABEgKJCvD_BwE

which (or something very similar) I inexplicably picked up in a Decathlon sale for £3.50

I find it excellent as it's light (no posts telling me that it isn't top grade secure - I am well aware of that) but unfortunately it's too small to reach round my exped bike wheel and the down tube. And though it will go round most bike stands it won't go round much street furniture.

So, basically I'm looking for something like that - cheap, light, but a tad bigger.

Ta in advance.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
yes User I have :smile:

I have several of those cables and used to use them.

But I decided that they are not particularly secure (snippable), definitely no more secure than that cheapo Decathlon D lock. And they probably aren't a great deal lighter.

They also can't be used as a lock in their own right. When touring it can be handy to have a light lock in the outer flap of my Ortliebs for my (frequent :smile: ) pub stops where the bike will be in view. The heavy Abus D lock will be rammed down the back of one of the Ortliebs and not be readily accessible.

I have looked for a similar but slightly bigger lock on the web but no luck so far (hence my question here) - cheap locks tend to be some sort of cable affair. Some of the cable locks aren't actually all that cheap - and I reckon that all attract thieves.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for all the replies so far folks - and special thanks to Vickster.

Will check out the Mountain Warehouse one - it looks almost ideal at first sight - yes it does look like the Decathlon one - which has the nice feature of not needing the key to lock it - handy for faffing me- as soon as I've unlocked it to fit I can put the key away (less chance of me losing it) before snapping it round the bike.

Free delivery on all stuff at mountain warehouse this weekend as well. :smile:

I had considred this Kryptonite lock which is on sale at a fair few places at the moment.

https://www.evanscycles.com/krypton...MI49r0stWq2QIVhbftCh2PJggpEAQYAiABEgJGUfD_BwE

but was put off by a few reviews which reckoned that a wonky key/lock faff could make it difficult to unlock your own bike :sad:

Ta again vickster, any more suggestions from folk please post - may be useful for other folk as well of course.

edit - Mountain Warehouse one though wider may possibly not be long enough due to the tube arrangement of my Ridgeback Expedition - can see myself trying to wheel the wondrous green beast into one of their more tolerant branches this weekend.

Last edited:

Tangoup51

The majority of Oxford and Alarmed D locks are incredibly hefty and heavy, and the cheaper D locks are terrible, for something of that size but that lightweight you can tell something is up. - they are not weather resistant and one day your key will probably snap inside the cylinder but it'll be okay because you can cut through their cheap metals with a spoon. :laugh:

IMO You're really going down the wrong route for a Light, Effective, Cheap Cafe- front wheel lock, that can also be dubbed as a Potent primary lock. -- For best results on your requirements you need to think 'Smarter rather than Stronger'

I'd heavily recommend this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XY5QZNJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A Light-weight Good Quality cable lock with a Good Quality Alarm. made by a fairly reputable German bike parts company.

It is not the cheapest lock and as cable-locks go it is very expensive, but that is because of material quality and alarm integration. The alarm is ear-shattering loud and is equipped with motion sensors and one additional internal cable that when cut will sound the alarm regardless.

It's easy to carry as it is coiled, and yet It can lock your entire bike up needs be. (front-wheel, rear-wheel, frame, all to post.) and it's very light-weight, 449 grams.

To me, it's the best secondary lock I've ever found, as a primary lock it's flawed because it is a cable but the alarm makes up for it significantly and as you'd expect for the price the cable is actually made of something considerably stronger than cheese.
It comes with a fairly nice mounting bracket and very decent quality keys also.

IMO the best kind of Cable lock will easily outplay the worst kind of D-lock in almost every category.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anti theft skewers and a cable?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Anti theft skewers and a cable?
I already have anti theft skewers drago (well on another bike but due to be moved to the expedition bike) so it is possible that I am overthinking this. I do find the !ong cables a terrible faff though and of course you are carrying all that coil to deal with one very localised issue.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for your reply tangoup, will consider that lock.

But with regard to your:
}} IMO You're really going down the wrong route for a Light, Effective, Cheap Cafe- front wheel lock, that can also be dubbed as a Potent primary lock. -- For best results on your requirements you need to think 'Smarter rather than Stronger'

I should stress that when I referred to using this lock as a "primary lock, it would only be in a cafe situation. Should also stress that this would often be used on a heavily loaded touring bike, not the easiest thing to shift in a hurry.

Tangoup51

Thanks for your reply tangoup, will consider that lock.

But with regard to your:
}} IMO You're really going down the wrong route for a Light, Effective, Cheap Cafe- front wheel lock, that can also be dubbed as a Potent primary lock. -- For best results on your requirements you need to think 'Smarter rather than Stronger'

I should stress that when I referred to using this lock as a "primary lock, it would only be in a cafe situation. Should also stress that this would often be used on a heavily loaded touring bike, not the easiest thing to shift in a hurry.

Ah I see, that's even better then. - using the lock I proposed in a primary situation works best in lowkey environments. I think you should invest into it personally, it seems to face up your criteria very well. But it's your call. I currently own the product so if theres any questions about it you want, let me know.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for the reply and info tangoup.

I suppose my doubts about that lock are that it is a cable lock - so almost invites thieves - and they aren't after all going to know that it is alarmed.

Surely any cable lock can be snipped but a D lock of any sort is going to need some sort of power tool or a hefty hammer?

Which cuts down the number of potential thieves as they will have to go out suitably equipped?

And using either of those attack methods is going to involve at least a period of noise?

One of the reviewers said that it has two alarm settings.

>>cut to sound alarm, or touch to sound.

so you can't have both?

I suppose my other thought is that my bike only needs to look less nickable/sellable that stuff around it and that a D lock is more of a deterrent. Locked up my old but wonderful Ridgeback (not the epedition) in London's Aldwych this evening with my Abus heavy D lock and £3.50 Decathlon D lock - masses of bikes around mine - many superficially looked more attractive, many looked less well locked.

edit: I know some folks recommend this as an alternative alarmed lock though I was maybe looking for something cheaper and lighter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Target-Ala...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CXGZ9P607XZYN52P1TCT

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Honestly it depends. Some D-Locks can be snipped by the same size bolt croppers that are used on Cable locks, but only really the cheap low-end D locks, whose only real benefit is appearance, but in reality they would go just as easily when attacked, just due to quality of material.

No tool will make as much noise as the alarm on that cable lock.

It's both, like I said before, there's an internal cable around the main steel braided cable and when that is snipped it sets the alarm off. But also it comes with a motion sensor in the head unit, detects movements and strikes and alarms accordingly (Which gives additional protection to the rest of your bike.)

You're smart with the thinking, using D-Locks for their appearance however a well seasoned thief will attempt anything and would already know that some D-Locks are made of cheese. It's like of like those "armoured" cable locks, that look bulky but in reality are very weak, it just takes the right thief.

Appearance deterrent is only buying you time until a more intelligent thief comes along IMO, and personally I think appearance deterrents are something that you should not rely on.

Atleast with the cable-lock, its appearance, would sit happily within a cafe stop or on use on a front wheel, but its actual abilities would be able to rank it to much greater use, providing more security than a D-lock, because SHOULD a thief stroll up to your bike with enough tools to slice through any quality D-Lock, no matter what tools he uses he can't defeat the alarmed cable lock, because it'd certainly alert you, and certainly spook the thief.

All-in-All, that cable lock is an incredibly Potent lock for its size, weight and flexibility.

Last edited:
Top Bottom