Recommend a light cheap secondary D lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
oh a quick question @Tangoup51

How long have you used this and what are the batteries like? I am very wary of any sort of button cell (my kitchen scale batteries last hardly any time at all) and especially if they are supposed to be powering what I am lead to believe is a fearsome alarm.

How long do they last in use?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5153114, member: 45"]Not ignoring your comment about cables, but have you thought of using a decent cable with looped ends, looped through the D-lock at the back wheel?[/QUOTE]
I never understand why people do that. It should scream to attackers "bust rear wheel lock, get front wheel free". Two independent locks will always win IMO.

ETA Most of the time it won't matter, as someone in most large cycle parks will use only a silly string cable and be the first target.

Last edited:

Tangoup51

oh a quick question @Tangoup51

How long have you used this and what are the batteries like? I am very wary of any sort of button cell (my kitchen scale batteries last hardly any time at all) and especially if they are supposed to be powering what I am lead to believe is a fearsome alarm.

How long do they last in use?

Some time now, can't pin how long. Probably about a year? The batteries are 4x LR44 Batteries. (Small diamater, fat, watch batteries) the batteries will last a long time, the only significant use they get is when the alarm is screaming its head off, everything else draws minuscule power. Comes with some good standard ones, but Some decent Duracell ones would make it last god knows how long. Probably 1.5-2 years of regular use.

I've had loads of alarm locks, all of them use the same LR44 batteries, I have such alarm lock on my shed, it's been active for about 1 + year now, so it only draws power when its the alarm is screaming, but the alarm on the cable lock is far more sophisticated and better made so I'd expect it to be also more efficient too. Battery life is a non-issue with these products, your kitchen scales must of been thirsty !

Last edited:
The lightest D lock I know about is a Palmy Mini Aluminium U-lock at only 358g.
It's very weak to any attack but it's a good visible deterrent for cafe stops.

mjr

Battery life is a non-issue with these products, your kitchen scales must of been thirsty !
I've dumped some kitchen scales into the small electricals recycling because they ate CR2032s almost as quick as we ate the food. I wouldn't get any more and an AAA- powered set has replaced them.

I've no problems with an alarmed cable either. I think it's coming up on two years on the batteries. It still does the confirmation arming pip OK but I guess I should test the actual alarm (in the middle of nowhere, with earplugs in).

Tangoup51

[QUOTE 5154809, member: 45"]Good luck with that, trying to break a mini d-lock that's tight on the back wheel?[/QUOTE]

If it can get on the wheel, it can come off too.

jay clock

Massive member
I got four of the Raleigh D locks with looped cable thrown in. £20RRP but a fiver each from Tescos. Look ok, and are extras for my lock up (to attach a load of crap old bikes on top of my main bike [itself secured with much better lock])

Think it is Protect 100. Very light

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I got four of the Raleigh D locks with looped cable thrown in. £20RRP but a fiver each from Tescos. Look ok, and are extras for my lock up (to attach a load of crap old bikes on top of my main bike [itself secured with much better lock])

Think it is Protect 100. Very light
Thanks for this jay clock but i think it may have been discontinued. Possibly explains why you picked it up so cheaply.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I never understand why people do that. It should scream to attackers "bust rear wheel lock, get front wheel free".
If you don't understand that use of a cable (and I'm not arguing) your mind would have been fried by the bike I saw parked/"locked" in Putney a while ago. Cable looped through both wheels and the passable D lock used to link the loops on both ends of the cable. Weakest link or what?

Reactions: mjr

mjr

If you don't understand that use of a cable (and I'm not arguing) your mind would have been fried by the bike I saw parked/"locked" in Putney a while ago. Cable looped through both wheels and the passable D lock used to link the loops on both ends of the cable. Weakest link or what?
The biggest security flaw is often the nut that holds the handlebars...

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for all the advice - thanks @Tangoup51 and @vickster in particular.

In the end my doubts about button cells meant that I passed on the alarm lock (for now - may go that way later) and I have other alarm things I could secrete in my tourer's panniers.

So since delivery is free at the moment, and returns also, I have gone for the Mountain Warehouse lock as suggested by vickster. Some quick measuring suggests that it might fit very snugly round the 26inch wheel Exped bike's front wheel and a bit of the frame, so I could use it like I use my light Decathlon cheapo special on my London town fast bike.

Have a vague memory that I have seen this lock in Mountain Warehouse shops and been none too impressed with it but it may possibly be ideal for my intended use.

Have no fears folks - it won't be used as a primary lock in London. :smile:

Will try to report back.

Thanks again.

Tangoup51

@Blue Hills I'm Glad you made a choice & I hope it serves you well, that said, the same way you are hesitant of button cells is the same way I am hesitant of cheap D-locks, I wish it was pessimism, but alas, it was from my own experience that made the judgement call.

My Key had snapped in the cylinder of a cheap D-Lock I bought from amazon, all the cheap low-end d locks are usually the same Chinese import but with a different logo slapped on it. - The key snapped because the pins in the cylinder were seizing up (From weather?) Hardly put any force in the damn thing, the key was made of cheese, once more it hardly saw rain use. Just cold conditions and light use for about 6 or 8 months.

Credit to my luck (and rather my stupidity) i didn't lock it through the frame on my mtb, just the back wheel when the key snapped, so I was able to carry the rest of my bike home and then arrange transport to come back much later to "get" the rear wheel.

I tried digging the key out of the cylinder so I could use my spare key, but it wouldn't budge. In the end I couldn't be bothered, so I resorted to bolt cropping it the U lock. Medium sized bolt croppers & it went like cheese. - A little bit of resistance at first but then it just Glides through. Really surprised.

I reckon it was made out of mild steel. Nothing hardened at the price I paid, wasn't too upset about the whole experience but I realised if the key had snapped while the frame was locked up too, it'd of been a much worse experience.

Anyway, I presume its the £5.99 mountain warehouse lock that vickster proposed? I recognised it on Amazon a ways back, i was looking at it too.

Take a look at the reviews here, they are more indepth than on the mountain warehouse website.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-W...ll_reviews&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Update

After some boring delivery muck-ups involving an honest mistake on Mountain Warehouse's part and some par for the course bungling from Hermes, the lock arrived. Will try to take it back as:

1: Despite the measurements given on the web page it appears to be no bigger than my trusty £3.50 (albeit mysteriously discounted) Decathlon special, so it is of no use for my expedition bike. Pity Decathlon don't do a slightly bigger version of it.

2: It is super shoddy, even for my intended use. Not a big criticism of Mountain Warehouse as they do some decent clothing at their "normal half prices"

I would use the Kryptonite thing I referred to above but am worried by reports of it locking onto your bike.

The search goes on, but I think I'm looking for something which is hard to find.

Tangoup51

I would use the Kryptonite thing I referred to above but am worried by reports of it locking onto your bike.

The search goes on, but I think I'm looking for something which is hard to find.

Sorry to hear it's been rough sailing, you handle it with alot more patience than I would :okay:

That said, what did you mean by "reports of it locking onto your bike"

Top Bottom