Recommend a minimalist rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Tubus Fly is probably as spartan as they get, assuming you want to spend that much.

The Fly is excellent. Not cheap but will last. With two small panniers on it is actually possibly to fit a fair bit of stuff on the top crossways - two small drybags for instance. In fact apart from a full on race machine for competition use I can't understand anyone not fitting something like a Fly (cheaper similar things are available) to their bike if they don't want a full on rack. It is very elegant - remarkably attaches at a single point at the seatpost and can still carry a fair whack of stuff.

Depends what you want to carry. The Tubus Fly is a rack for panniers attaching panniers to, pretty much. You can probably bunjee a bit to the top of it (Tubus Fly owners will probably vociferously contradict me now), but it's not really a rack for putting things onto (eg you can't put a rack pack on it).
not going to contact you vociferously on the sly :smile: not my way. I have had so much weight on top of a fly (on a ride London to Cambridge and back) that, stupidly lifting the bike by its new seat to carry it down some steps, I broke the seat.
My Fly is now on its second bike. Am pretty sure that it will outlive me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm hoping to get my hands on a Tailfin rack soon - been trying to get hold of it for ages but it's new and they've had production problems. It's really designed for bikes that don't have standard rack mounts, so probably not really what you're looking for, but I'm intrigued by it.

Main downside of it is that it's designed specifically to use with their own matching bags - although you can get an adapter to fit standard pannier bags. No means of fitting a bag to the top of the rack either.

https://www.tailfin.cc

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
:smile:
I decided against a fly because the top bit isn't very wide and my preferred carrying thing is a rack-top-bag. It looked like I couldn't put a rack bag on top of it.

Back on topic, I have a Tubus something-or-other that isn't in the least bit minimalist.
My fly carries a racktop bag on occassion... ;)

To be honest, despite it's general wonderfulness, I can only put stuff on top of it when there are panniers either side to help support it.

fossala

Guru
I was going to get the titanium version of the fly but ended up getting a stainless cosmo because the former doesn't have a light bracket. Who would make a rack without a bloody light bracket!?

Reactions: mjr
That's bonkers. Presumably for folk who like to travel light without that extra bit of metal. Or a light. Am amazed that someone as practical as Tubus would do that. All my tubus racks have light mounts. You have just of course identified another good reason for a rack - helps the very sound system of having two rear lights.

Your choice is furious though. The Cosmo and Fly are very different racks.

Kind of, but both fitted what I wanted. Stainless and the fitting of two panniers. I would of preferred the fly but no light mount is silly so went with the fly.
Kind of? Furious should of course have read "curious" but praps you ignored the F word to steer away from a possible poisonous interjection from the forum politics bit. :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Top Bottom