Recommend a seatpack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never thought I'd be posting this.

Not really into the overall idea of bikepacking.

But have got the idea that a seatpack may be handy on a bike of mine for short short tours/raids using a bivibag/one person tent - bike has a minimal rack, could carry two small panniers, one or two 13litre drybags lashed across these, and possibly a seatpack.

Probably best to not spend too much initially while I experiment.

Eyes caught by this:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

though I think that somewhere it advises adding tape to protect bag/frame interfaces, which is perhaps not too encouraging.

Ideas?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd struggle to get my leg over that.

ianbarton

Veteran
Have a look at the Alpkit ones. I haven't got one myself, but do have quite a bit of other Alpkit gear. Their stuff is well made and a decent price. If you don't like it, returns are free.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just converted my Raleigh Equipe to a lightweight 'weekender' touring bike, I bought 2 smaller panniers from Carradice (my big uns are a bit much and I'd got some birthday money from my Mum that has to be spent on something tangible) but then I take cooking gear with me.

DSCN0179.JPG

A lighter set up than the Ridgeback.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Alpkit bags are very fashionable; we saw dozens of identikit mountain bikers on fat-tyre bikes doing an event in the Lakes recently and many had the Alpkit bags strapped to their bikes. Whatever you buy, do be sure to wrap the contact points with tape because the straps will fret.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Have a look at the Alpkit ones. I haven't got one myself, but do have quite a bit of other Alpkit gear. Their stuff is well made and a decent price. If you don't like it, returns are free.
Just looked online at the Alpkit bag. Although I know the company has a good reputatnion, if I have read it right their seatpack isn't waterproof so they recommend using their separate 13 litre drybag with it. Makes the whole capoodle rather expensive. And a faff.

Anyone any experience of this?:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/13l-bike-seatpack-drybag.html#SID=152

I have a few bits of stuff from those Scottish folk and rate them. Not necessarily the lightest but good solid stuff.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Just looked online at the Alpkit bag. Although I know the company has a good reputatnion, if I have read it right their seatpack isn't waterproof so they recommend using their separate 13 litre drybag with it. Makes the whole capoodle rather expensive. And a faff.

Anyone any experience of this?:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/13l-bike-seatpack-drybag.html#SID=152

I have a few bits of stuff from those Scottish folk and rate them. Not necessarily the lightest but good solid stuff.
Using a dry bag does have teh advantage of you can leave the seat pack on the bike rather than have to faf to remove and refit if you want to take most of the stuff with you...

I use a combination of Alpkit bags (frame and fuel pods) plus a Wildcat seat bag (which is a holster and separate dry bag)
Here it is in such a config:
Ydxx9Bq0_o.jpg

Top Bottom