Recommend a watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slim

Über Member
Have a look at Creation Watches. They have a pretty wide range at excellent prices. The watches are grey imports but are genuine. I've got a couple of Solar Seikos from them at roughly half the UK prices.

MarkF

Guru
If £100 is your budget for a watch then I would buy a Seiko 5 with the proven and bullet proof 7s26 automatic movement, the are superb classless wristwatches. You'd still have £25-35 left over, but it would be worth more than the Bering (fashion watch) if you wanted to move it on. Loads of white/silver faced models to choose from, I like the sporty Racer models but there are dress and military ones too. :thumbsup:

snka01k1-a.jpg

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If £100 is your budget for a watch then I would buy a Seiko 5 with the proven and bullet proof 7s26 automatic movement, the are superb classless wristwatches. You'd still have £25-35 left over but it would be worth more than the Bering if you wanted to move it on. Loads of white/silver faced models to choose from, I like the sporty Racer models but there are dress and military ones too. :thumbsup:

snka01k1-a.jpg

How does that look remotely like the one he wants? :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
If £100 is your budget for a watch then I would buy a Seiko 5 with the proven and bullet proof 7s26 automatic movement, the are superb classless wristwatches. You'd still have £25-35 left over, but it would be worth more than the Bering (fashion watch) if you wanted to move it on. Loads of white/silver faced models to choose from, I like the sporty Racer models but there are dress and military ones too. :thumbsup:

snka01k1-a.jpg
I like that watch!
It's been a lot of years since I had anything other than a battery operated quartz type of watch, as I like the fact that you can set the time and forget about having to adjust it apart from the twice a year changing of the clocks.
My memories of automatic watches from my youth was that they weren't very accurate. As in, they could lose or gain minutes every day. Has this improved in the last 35 years?

MarkF

Guru
I like that watch!
It's been a lot of years since I had anything other than a battery operated quartz type of watch, as I like the fact that you can set the time and forget about having to adjust it apart from the twice a year changing of the clocks.
My memories of automatic watches from my youth was that they weren't very accurate. As in, they could lose or gain minutes every day. Has this improved in the last 35 years?

No, I look at mine and then get confirmation by looking out of the window at the sundial on the bird table............

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I'm open to suggestions!

Re the accuracy of automatic watches - I have a cheap automatic Pulsar that's 4 or 5 years old and is accurate to within a minute of so every 2 or 3 months.

MarkF

Guru
I'm open to suggestions!

Re the accuracy of automatic watches - I have a cheap automatic Pulsar that's 4 or 5 years old and is accurate to within a minute of so every 2 or 3 months.

I'd suggest that the Bering is worth tuppence. ^_^

I have plenty of auto's and quartz, they all lose or gain time, but totally insignificant amounts, the Seiko 5 might be +/- 3 seconds a day! I know this because I have an atomic Casio (^_^) that receives an update from Frankfurt, that's the only watch I own that's always bang on "right" and I use it to set/adjust the auto's.

OP, if you want a super slim and stark looking watch like the Bering, but an automatic, then you'll struggle, unless you want to spend £k's on a Zenith. You'll lose the "slim" by needing case depth to accommodate the auto movement. Go careful, you can spend £100 and have a good watch or you can spend £100 and end up with a piece of junk.

If I had to sell all my watches and had £100 to spend on one watch, I'd buy the Seiko 5 and I'd be pretty pleased with it too. :smile:

snka01k1-a.jpg

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd suggest that the Bering is worth tuppence. ^_^

I have plenty of auto's and quartz, they all lose or gain time, but totally insignificant amounts, the Seiko 5 might be +/- 3 seconds a day! I know this because I have an atomic Casio (^_^) that receives an update from Frankfurt, that's the only watch I own that's always bang on "right" and I use it to set/adjust the auto's.

OP, if you want a super slim and stark looking watch like the Bering, but an automatic, then you'll struggle, unless you want to spend £k's on a Zenith. You'll lose the "slim" by needing case depth to accommodate the auto movement. Go careful, you can spend £100 and have a good watch or you can spend £100 and end up with a piece of junk.

If I had to sell all my watches and had £100 to spend on one watch, I'd buy the Seiko 5 and I'd be pretty pleased with it too. :smile:

snka01k1-a.jpg
That's a bargain. Seiko automatic movements are among the very best.

For an alternative I think Mondaine takes some beating for classic Bauhaus simplicity, though a tad over budget.
(I recently bought the Stop2go and love it).

From £139

http://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-a660-30344-11sbb-unisex-round-leather-strap-watch-black/p231536722

231536722?$prod_main$.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

snka01k1-a.jpg

The problem with Seiko 5 watches is they are not very stylish......they can't be because I wear one and one of my sons does too. Mine is accurate to within about 30 seconds a month, has toughened glass which is relatively scratch resistant and the watch doesn't break just because you forgot to take it off before smashing some concrete blocks with a sledge hammer (I haven't been able to use a sledge hammer for quite a few years but my Seiko withstood such treatment when I did and is still going strong) Another good thing is that if you take the watch off and look at the back you can see the workings because the back is made of glass......this feature is on ly available on some models - but it is such a good feature that you would be mad not to have it and you may spend the rest of your life wishing you had made a wiser choice......
Mine and my son's came off eBay at about half retail and they're not knock offs.
Personally I wouldn't change my watch for anything else......but we have already established that I am not stylish.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I like that watch!
In the last 35 years? Possibly. I wear my Dad's automatic Omega Constellation Chronometer. That gains about a minute every couple of months. It was bought in 1972........ ^_^

Top Bottom