Recommend be some panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I like my Altura Dryliners (though they are the bigger ones). All the fittings are replaceable too, if that floats your boat. The ones linked by Blue Hills seem a good price for the pair.

Edit - I've just seen on the Ribble site an Altura 15 litre roll-top pannier with Rixen Kaul fittings for £28.99 each (single).

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ortleib front rollers are 25ltr combined, cost me around £65 for the pair (about 5 years ago i guess). I use one of them daily and is ideal for what I need. I was looking for something cheaper but the Ortliebs weren't much more than the next best. Worth every penny.
I also have a pair of plastic bikebins (35ltr combined i think). The locking feature drew me to them and figured they'd be ideal for touring (combined with the front rollers). But they're not sturdy enough to sit on and doubt they'd survive an off. Not used them much. In hindsight, I should have bought a bigger pair of Ortleibs.

Regarding heel strike.... try to find a rack that allows the panniers to be mounted further back. This will make more difference than the shape of the pannier itself.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Ortlieb ftw

they're dear but better and the clasps are replaceable

Ortlieb is the advice I took. Googled various stuff but Ortlieb seemed to be the only one that resulted in consistently good feedback. Others seemed prone to tearing in places or had poor fasteners and general quality issues I was determined to avoid. I also really didnt want velcro. Ended up with these. It took less than a week for delivery which I didnt expect considering they came from Germany. Only time will tell just how good they are. Double what I set out to pay so hopefully these will last ages.

Good choice. I miss the lack of pockets sometimes (yes I know you can add them) but they are bomb proof. My bikepacker plus rears look pretty much as new 15 years on. And yes totally waterproof (have tested this from the inside by smashing a very large jar of olives inside them).

Tom B

Guru
Sort of related, would anyone care to recommend a decent rack, suitable for panniers, reasonabley light and suitable for disk braked bike.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Good choice. I miss the lack of pockets sometimes (yes I know you can add them) but they are bomb proof. My bikepacker plus rears look pretty much as new 15 years on. And yes totally waterproof (have tested this from the inside by smashing a very large jar of olives inside them).

TBH waterproofing is merely a bonus. I dont do wet weather riding. My commute is 15 miles each way. Sometimes I cycle, sometimes I will motorcycle as I dont own a car. But I find driving a car is a bit like killing yourself and hoping to come back as a slug. On wet days I will ride my motorcycle, but I hate it. Was too knac knackered the other day to ride my bicycle so I took the motorbike. Ended up riding 130mph on a stretch of empty dual carriageway. Felt nice, but still doesnt compare with riding along a 500ft clifftop on my MTB. Outstanding! However I got back from that ride.....clicky

Sort of related, would anyone care to recommend a decent rack, suitable for panniers, reasonabley light and suitable for disk braked bike.

For panniers see my earlier reply. I dont mean to sound rude but I am just emphasizing earlier suggestions of Ortieb. They are after alI, suggestions that ultimately resulted in me buying an Ortlieb (never heard of them before this thread).I will also add on that and suggest the QL2.1 locking system. For me this is the real reason I spent £100 on a pair of waterproof panniers. Im not even bothered by waterproofing as I rarely ride in very wet weather, plus I use shopping bags and plus I dont carry stuff that would be damaged by water. The attaching system alone is enough for me. Cant comment on quality coz they are new but £100, would be pissed off if im the exception to all the reviews!

I have a Giant Revolt. This has disc brakes but they are not fantastic. They are very capable of hauling my fully laden commuter to a stop on a steep downhill, but they require frequent adjustment, as is the way with cable operated disc brakes. However this is a simple enough task. Overall a great commuter bike.

I do have hydros on my £1700 MTB. They are incredible, but not worth it for something Im gonna lock outside my workplace for 10 hours plus per day. Plus my commute is relatively flat but for 2 places. On the other hand, most of my mileage is commuting, yet its done on my lowest quality bike! Security reasons are priority. I can afford a four digit commuter, but I want it to still be there when I come back.

For security I recommend what everyone else does, a Kryptonyte New York Mini D lock. Youtube these things and you will find out just how insecure even the best stuff is, but its still worth it to boost your odds. You need a good chain or cable lock aswell as a good D lock, that way thiefs will need to be prepared with more tools. Nothing is foolproof tho.

I do suggest that you make a new thread here for better advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom