Recommend clothing for the larger beginner rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BintanMan

Morning,

Having not ridden my bike for a few years most of my clobber is of similar age. I've also gained a bit of weight so some of it is a little errrr snug. Thankfully my shoes still fit
biggrin.gif
and look in reasonable condition. There's nothing like buying new stuff to get you a bit more motivated and enthused.

Are there any particular makes I should look at for a novice rider? I would imagine my size would be XL or XXL being 16st, 6'1" 44" chest 36-38"waist?

Nick

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm 15.5st, 6' 2" 44" chest, 36" waist so I feel your pain.

dhb (Wiggle own brand) stuff fits well as does the lovely gear from Shutt Velo Rapide. Lidl size L gear fits me, as does Tesco's and both of those have the appeal of being cheap.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Prenads are good, you can search by size and, if you're not sure, they'll give you advice on phone or be e-mail. The deals can be excellent for quality kit, I get the impression it's like buying 3 year out of date Scunthorpe United away kit, or suchlike :biggrin: But as I know feck all about cyling teams I don't care:-

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

I've bought 6 sets of bib shorts from them and have had no problems with fit or quality.

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

That's great stuff. I'll take a look.

Is there also a guideline on what gear to wear in certain weather? Going back to running I only used to wear layers if the temperature went below 4degreesC. I don't really feel the cold, but I imagine on a bike it's a different story. I suppose experience counts but I don't want to get caught out. I'm not totally inexperienced but I used to pick my days carefully in the past. If I want to be a bit more committed and stick to a schedule I don't want to be put off by a stiff breeze :tongue:

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

Prenads are good, you can search by size and, if you're not sure, they'll give you advice on phone or be e-mail. The deals can be excellent for quality kit, I get the impression it's like buying 3 year out of date Scunthorpe United away kit, or suchlike :biggrin: But as I know feck all about cyling teams I don't care:-

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

I've bought 6 sets of bib shorts from them and have had no problems with fit or quality.

It certainly gets colourful, doesn't it!

MacB

It certainly gets colourful, doesn't it!

Believe it :biggrin: My only real mistake was buying some Spanish National Team bibshorts, I just couldn't resist the price but read and white bib shorts on a fat bloke don't really do it, they're reserved for training now.

Layering, or lack thereof, is really up to you and how you ride, there's a rsik with going too minimal for a big bloke. It's temptig due to the overheating going uphill etc but it doesn't half get cold on the downhill. I'd just try a few things and see how it pans out, if it helps this is what I tend to use:-

hands - I have cheapo Winter gloves from Aldi or Lidl about £5 per pair, mitts I use fingerless ones with minimal padding as I have heavily padded bars. I also bought some pairs of silk liner gloves from e-bay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jasminesilkdream/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686 I find these wear well and can be used under mitts or Winter gloves. If it's really cold then you can wear these, plus nitrile gloves, plus Winter gloves, your hands will sweat but they won't get cold. I found these were perfect with the mitts on a cold start and allowed me to remove a layer when desired.

feet - I use flat pedals so can wear what I want and do, everything from heavy boots with extra socks right down to flip flops(they won't be repeated) though I now consider crocs/sandals the minimum.

bottoms - I have some padded boxers if I want to ride in normal trousers or shorts, don't really like cycling in jeans over about 5 miles and wet denim is no fun. For commuting and longer rides then it's generally lycra, bib shorts or 3/4's, leg warmers, leggings - mix it up as it works for you

top - windchill is the bit to watch for here and I have 3 options, Altura Nightvision, Montane Featherlight and Montane Feartherlight Gilet(sleeveless jacket), I also like micro fleeces, Craghoppers do some decent ones cut long at back. I nearly always wear a base layer, under the bib shorts, and mine are all merino wool ones. I don't like a lot of the cycling tops, even when slim I just don't like the material and, no matter how much you spend, the anti smelly treatments don't always work or last. Again I'd go for merino wool, costs more but feels nicer to me and doesn't get stinky. I'd rather overheat a bit than get too cold, I had some early commutes where I was under dressed, it was miserable.

To be honest I quite fancy some cycling specific 3/4s and trousers, for social riding, but don't really want to shell out until I hit a reasonable weight again. Partly coz they won't fit for long and also they tend to consider XL being a 36" waist. The Montanes are great coz, like the silk glove liners, they pack really small so can be a layer you carry all the time. It has to be really cold for the Altura but it's nice to have something along that you can whack on if the windchill gets you by surprise. A buff is another handy thing to carry can work well to take a bit of chill off or to mop up sweat.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
To be honest I quite fancy some cycling specific 3/4s and trousers, for social riding, but don't really want to shell out until I hit a reasonable weight again.

Mac, I bought a few bits from this lot last week, the trousers are nice and the sizes are generous. At £18 they're pretty good - I wouldn't have fancied the £60-odd original price though. Merino tops are nice too!

http://www.bspoke.co.uk/

siadwell

Guru
I've just been poking around Evans' website and they are selling off some end of line clothing at good prices. A lot of items appear to be available only in larger sizes.

The advantage of Evans, assuming you live near a branch, is that you can easily return anything that doesn't fit.

MacB

Mac, I bought a few bits from this lot last week, the trousers are nice and the sizes are generous. At £18 they're pretty good - I wouldn't have fancied the £60-odd original price though. Merino tops are nice too!

http://www.bspoke.co.uk/

:biggrin: Oh I already have my shopping list planned out, cough-Rapha-cough, just the little matter of dropping the weight, I have passed the 18 stone mark recently :blush: Still nothing like a challenge eh?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
:biggrin: Oh I already have my shopping list planned out, cough-Rapha-cough, just the little matter of dropping the weight, I have passed the 18 stone mark recently :blush: Still nothing like a challenge eh?

I dunno, titanium bikes and Rapha gear!

I'd love a pair of the Rapha 3/4 troos, they're £130 though - bought some Craghoppers 3/4 in the end for a tenner. Cheap me.

Congrats on the weight milestone - you should go for a bike ride! :smile:

MacB

I dunno, titanium bikes and Rapha gear!

I'd love a pair of the Rapha 3/4 troos, they're £130 though - bought some Craghoppers 3/4 in the end for a tenner. Cheap me.

Congrats on the weight milestone - you should go for a bike ride! :smile:

I passed it on the way down due to cycling, you numpty.....bit annoying though as I had gotten down to 14 stone before...still 12 stone is the target :tongue:

MacB

:biggrin: Aahh sorry Mac, the red face smiley thing made me think the weight was going up! *removes foot from mouth*

No, fair enough a quick re-read shows it does come across like that, doesn't mean you're not a numpty, just not guilty of this one :evil:

Kind of hoping I've peaked, 18.5 stone was the high point and have lost a stone now in the last month. Which is 1 stone of the 6.5 stone I want to lose, or 15.4% of target, or 14 of 91lbs, or..........I think you can tell it's 'large' in my mind :tongue:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
No, fair enough a quick re-read shows it does come across like that, doesn't mean you're not a numpty, just not guilty of this one :evil:

Kind of hoping I've peaked, 18.5 stone was the high point and have lost a stone now in the last month. Which is 1 stone of the 6.5 stone I want to lose, or 15.4% of target, or 14 of 91lbs, or..........I think you can tell it's 'large' in my mind :tongue:

Thanks, I think!

Mac, surely you can't get to 12 stone, you're too tall for that? I got to 12.5 last summer but it was flipping hard work. Seem to have gained a couple of pounds from somewhere since then, but I'm working on it. :smile:

Top Bottom