Recommend me a backpack please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I commute to work by bike and often travel between my designated base and other sites.

Hope to base is 7 miles and max distance to other sites is six miles. On occasion I need to visit one site for a meeting before heading to base giving a total distance of 11 miles. Rarely a meeting goes past where I’m not the only one sitting in cycling gear thougout it.

I need to carry with me a change of clothes (though not footwear), a packed lunch, personal phone, work phone, and a laptop measuring 33.8cm x 23.7cm x 1.89cm.

Any recommendations for a suitable backpack greatfully received. Ideally waterproof/resistant* and offers some protection for the more fragile items.

*though I have a hump cover I can use if needed.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Osprey make really good rucksacks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you really want a large hard heavy laptop next to your back and neck? Can you fit panniers?

You may have already done your risk assessment

Last edited:
Did around 1year of rucksack before swapping to pannier. Massive improvement. No sweaty back and if I ever came off not sure I want a solid laptop pressed against my spine.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Do you really want a large hard heavy laptop next to your back and neck? Can you fit panniers?

You may have already done your risk assessment
Rucksack would be worn too high form my liking if it was in the area of my neck.

I commute on one of a number of bikes depending on the weather. Come can take paniers others cannot.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Did around 1year of rucksack before swapping to pannier. Massive improvement. No sweaty back and if I ever came off not sure I want a solid laptop pressed against my spine.
I‘Ve commuted for many years with a backpack without issue. With correct packing order there’s no need for a laptop to press against your spine.

I got knocked off a few years ago and came down square onto by back in the middle on the road. If anything the way that one was packed helped cushion the impact.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rucksack would be worn too high form my liking if it was in the area of my neck.

I commute on one of a number of bikes depending on the weather. Come can take paniers others cannot.
Something heavy on your back could still impact your neck in a crash, it's all connected

If you search, similar was asked fairly recently and Osprey or Deuter seem favoured

OP
OP
U

User33236

Something heavy on your back could still impact your neck in a crash, it's all connected

If you search, similar was asked fairly recently and Osprey or Deuter seem favoured

Thanks I did a search before I posted but didn’t find anything. Will try again with those names.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I recently bought a Dhb Slice and I love it.

Lots of pockets, space for a laptop and it even holds my water bladder better than the Camelbak Rogue I pinch it from

si_c

Guru
I've used a Deuter Bike One 20L backpack for commuting for about 3 years. I ride every day, and have come off a few times with it on. It happily holds Laptop (when I carry it, which is less often now), Shoes (Size 14), Shirt, trousers and Lunch. Or any combination thereof. I also keep a set of tools in the front pocket (minitool, CO2, tyre levers, and tubes, plus a cable lock).

I tend to use a stuff sack now for convenience with the clothes, but there are two separate pockets inside the main compartment, one of which is a wet pocket. The other which is meant for a hydration pack holds a 12/13" laptop well too.

The straps secure it really tightly, there is plenty of adjustment, on the sternum and shoulder straps as well as the hip straps, and it doesn't move at all when on the bike. The padding is great too, and the bag is really comfortable. Once in place I don't notice it being there at all.

Whilst I don't have the current model, the straps and retention systems are unchanged with this years models. I can't recommend highly enough.

Top Bottom