Recommend me a Belgian beer to look forward to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies in advance for the long tale...

A few weeks ago, we had our first ever trip abroad. It involved a change of plane at Brussels. I intended to have my first ever Belgian beer. it went pear shaped (plane delayed) & I didn't get my beer. Two weeks ago, I had a prostatectomy so I'm now at home feeling very low whilst recovering.

I've decided, that when I'm up to it, I'm going to celebrate with a (the) Belgian beer I didn't get in Brussels.

So, with the limitation of it's got to be something readily available (I'm talking Sainsbury's etc) and my preference for dark beer what can anybody suggest?

Grimbergen dubbel.
Gorgeous dark beer. I have some waiting for me at home :cheers:
Edit. Not available in supermarkets but readily available online from uk sites.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Chimay Blue.

9% of pure nectar.

download.jpg

T4tomo

Guru
Unless you really like drinking sweet treacle,.don't go for anything too strong. A Duvel or Chimmay ?spelling) isn't a bad place to start.

Pop over onto the beer thread

You'll be fighting off the "experts" there with a shitty stick

FWIW, if you're limited to UK supermarkets I'd probably choose Duvel but your preference for dark beer may mean that something like Leffe Brun may fit the bill as I'm not sure what dark Belgian beers Sainsbury's stock
You've named both of them.

MarkF

Guru
Grimbergen dubbel.
Gorgeous dark beer. I have some waiting for me at home :cheers:
Edit. Not available in supermarkets but readily available online from uk sites.

I drank quite a lot of that in June when I was cycling around Catalonia, from memory it was 1.39 euros per 33cl bottle in the shops. A little after my return I was out with MrsF and spotted it in a craft beer pub in Leeds centre, introducing her to it's delights cost me £9.40. :eek:

I like it more than Duvel, which is saying something, I also like Chimay and Trappiste, er, and probably any other Belgian beer, any beer really I suppose......

Top Bottom