Recommend me a bike rack for the car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

Off for half term with the family to Wales and I want to take my bike.We'll be going in a Yaris hatchback thing. I will probably only ever need to carry one bike, but if the price is right then I will stretch to a multi bike carrier.

Any bargains out there? Ideally I will need it by the end of this week.

Thanks, guys!

Roof bar or boot mounted?

Saris Bones racks always get good reviews.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some low-level rear-mounted ones look like bargains but then you realise it obstructs the lights and number plate and so needs a lighting board and the associated wiring which seems to cost at least £55 even if you're willing to spend an afternoon sat inside your boot looking for wires. I think you may have the same problem on the Yaris as I did with my car.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ looked the best place for roof bars and racks - from about £100 for a package deal. They do have high-level rear-mounted racks, but the ones recommended by my car's maker were cheaper and seem to work well enough - I decided against roof bars because of the difficulty I have lifting some of my bikes that high.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Roof bar or boot mounted?

Saris Bones racks always get good reviews.
Either will do but thanks for the pointer - I'll check them out.

Some low-level rear-mounted ones look like bargains but then you realise it obstructs the lights and number plate and so needs a lighting board and the associated wiring which seems to cost at least £55 even if you're willing to spend an afternoon sat inside your boot looking for wires. I think you may have the same problem on the Yaris as I did with my car.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ looked the best place for roof bars and racks - from about £100 for a package deal. They do have high-level rear-mounted racks, but the ones recommended by my car's maker were cheaper and seem to work well enough - I decided against roof bars because of the difficulty I have lifting some of my bikes that high.
Great stuff and thanks for all the advice.

Sixmile

Veteran
Seasucker. Mount your car on the tailgate, roof or on the side.

IMG_0579.jpg

Not the cheapest mind you.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd say roof bars, unless youre short of arm. The strap on jobs are questionable unless you can guarantee both feet sit clear of the glass, and not every generation of the Yaris has EU types approval for a towbar.

Adam4868

Guru
I've always used a saris bones,3 bike one but only usually take mine.As for obstructing no plate.Never bothered,maybe just have a spare plate at strap/stick it to something.
Took bike to France a few years ago in a yaris.Compared to my car seemed like free fuel !!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd say roof bars, unless youre short of arm. The strap on jobs are questionable unless you can guarantee both feet sit clear of the glass
What do you mean "both feet"? My rack has two feet on the roof and two on the door between the glass and number plate - I agree nothing should push on the glass, but I can't see how you'd get a rack not to wobble side-to-side with only two feet.

I also like being able to see that the bikes aren't bobbling side-to-side like so many you see on car roofs driving along the road ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
By both I kind of meant upper and lower, many folding carriers using a bent member. Many cars and many racks (but not all combinations) necessitate feet on the glass, and most coppers will have been to an incident where someone's glass broke and dumped their bikes on the tarmac. At best its expensive, at worst someone could get hurt, so I'd always advise that folk are certain the rack will fit like yours does.

Sixmile

Veteran
Fun, but seriously: I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to make your car that much wider than 2.5m...

I wouldn't think it. I use the Seasucker Mini Bomber myself but have only had it on the roof. I keep meaning to check if it'll fit on my back window and rear bumper though.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're happy with something tailgate mounted, the Halfords Essentials one isn't bad and (on our car) held the bikes high enough to clear the lights and number plates.

That said, I upgraded to Thule roof bars and carriers and it's a much better solution (for us), although I'm sure some will disagree.

EDIT: it now appears to be called the Halfords Rear High Mount, http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier
From memory, 2 hybrid bikes fitted easily, 3 might be a bit 'snug'...

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Or as it was done in the old days. Bike upside down. Rest brake levers on the ladder rails and secure with a couple of toe straps. Sponge under the saddle and another toe strap.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'd go for towbar mounted and spend some decent money. Thule are your best bet.

He has mentioned though he'd like it by the end of this week. Could be a tad tight finding someone to order in and fit a towbar by Friday. If he finds a decent solution by tomorrow, it could be order and delivered next day.

Top Bottom