Recommend me a cycling bumbag :-D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Git! Another one added to the collection...

Can’t have too many gits in your life :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm, I think I will have to keep an eye on this thread...

Those who have ridden with me will know that I normally ride with all of my stuff in a Camelbak bag. (I don't use the drinks bladder.) I have been doing that for years and am used to it, but I did my recent holiday on my CX bike which has a rack so I rode with a pannier instead. It felt really good not having a sweat-inducing bag on my back on hot days. (I'm not bothered on cooler days because the bag helps to keep me warm.)

I don't have a rack on my best bike and don't want to fit a big saddlebag so some kind of bumbag with a capacity equal to my Camelbak would be ideal. It would let me get access to my phone/camera without a lot of faffing about so I would take more photos on my rides.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm, I think I will have to keep an eye on this thread...

Those who have ridden with me will know that I normally ride with all of my stuff in a Camelbak bag. (I don't use the drinks bladder.) I have been doing that for years and am used to it, but I did my recent holiday on my CX bike which has a rack so I rode with a pannier instead. It felt really good not having a sweat-inducing bag on my back on hot days. (I'm not bothered on cooler days because the bag helps to keep me warm.)

I don't have a rack on my best bike and don't want to fit a big saddlebag so some kind of bumbag with a capacity equal to my Camelbak would be ideal. It would let me get access to my phone/camera without a lot of faffing about so I would take more photos on my rides.
What phone are you using? Need a Camelback to carry it!!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thank you all for your suggestions!
I really did not want another bike bag: got 2 pair of Ortliebs, they are all I need, all my bikes have racks and at least one pannier attached at any time :whistle:
I might purchase a rack bag at some point in the future, for when I'm 100% sure that I won't stop at Aldi's after a ride.
Anyhow, I really wanted just a very small bag to retrieve my phone on the go, I did not want a bulky one to compete with my already bulky stomach :laugh: and I wanted a bit of quality so I won't have to shop again for the same thing in a few months.
@Heltor Chasca put me on the right track: after a bit of Googling I choose this bag by Osprey, their medium sized Ultralight Camera bag.
When it arrives, I can finally start posting in the Your Ride Today thread without feeling bad that I haven't got pictures!
@wonderloaf your suggestion was good too, but my phone is too big for that bag, I need 16cm length.
Thank you all for your input, it was very much appreciated!
Almost forgot: @robjh yes, you're a handsome chap (on tour) ^_^

ColinJ

What phone are you using? Need a Camelback to carry it!!
It would at various times carry my phone, camera, wallet, 2-3 spare tubes, spare tyre, puncture kit, multitool, 2 tyre levers, several spare chain links, a couple of short lengths of chain, pump, a length of gaffer tape, specs, a pair of latex gloves, spare batteries for GPS/lights, a cable lock, a rain jacket, armwarmers, a base layer (to put on or having been taken off), some food, 500 mL of concentrated carbo drink, a bungee cord ... I'm sure that there are one or two other things that I have forgotten about!

ColinJ

I carry a bungee cord too @ColinJ, to strap stuff on top of the rack, in case the panniers get full ^_^
I used it to help secure my pannier to its rack in Wales. I only have ultra-cheap Lidl panniers (I think that they were only about £10 for a pair!) and I don't trust them not to break. If I find myself using them a lot then I will upgrade to better quality ones at some point.

I mainly use the bungee to secure my bike on trains. It came in handy a couple of times in Wales when 3-5 bikes were squeezed into areas designed for 2!

I carry a bungee cord too @ColinJ, to strap stuff on top of the rack, in case the panniers get full ^_^

In that case, you need a bag with an undetectable extension charm :giggle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hQ4sSGbV88

What about a topbar bag? Saves rummaging behind you...
View attachment 411877
Topeak also do bigger ones called Fuel Tank

On the original bumbag question, Decathlon, generally excellent for bags of all sorts and much else, does bumbags. Doubtless cycling ones but also slimmer ones for general travel use - so look outside the cycling department. Good value. And quality.

This is mine I think.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hip-bag...MI3Pub0v6x2wIVhrHtCh2hjACYEAQYAyABEgICxfD_BwE

though those polite french people prefer the word "hip"

edit - just seen that pat is sorted - that will teach me not to hop into threads.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Topeak also do bigger ones called Fuel Tank

On the original bumbag question, Decathlon, generally excellent for bags of all sorts and much else, does bumbags. Doubtless cycling ones but also slimmer ones for general travel use - so look outside the cycling department. Good value. And quality.

This is mine I think.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hip-bag...MI3Pub0v6x2wIVhrHtCh2hjACYEAQYAyABEgICxfD_BwE

though those polite french people prefer the word "hip"

edit - just seen that pat is sorted - that will teach me not to hop into threads.
Colinj is in the market for one though.

ColinJ

I will be carting the Camelbak bag round Cheshire all day tomorrow and wishing that I had something more comfortable! For a long ride like that I really do load it up with most of the stuff in my list above.

Top Bottom