Recommend me a cycling bumbag :-D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you want something bigger @ColinJ I can recommend this:

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/responsepak

Pic shows the sort of capacity.

Available for somewhat less than that.

And (not a criticism of Snugpak who I think are an excellent company) it does appear that that particular item is actually chinese so available for even less - some searching will find it - I may be able to recommend some eastern suppliers.

I bought mine by the way from an outdoor shop in Blackburn.

I use it when touring and it holds a lot.

If you look at the pic you can see that clippable straps also allow it to be slung over your handlebars (grab it fast before it gets rebranded for bikepacking hipsters).

Only thing is, the zips are good and smooth running. If putting valuables in some of the pockets it is advisable to run those screwable keychain things through them - a surprising problem since the thing is supposedly designed for soldiers rushing into firefights/missions.

It is excellently made though - mine will outlive me I think.

My cycling bumbag before this was from the once excellent Karrimor.

Oh, unlike that Karrimor thing it doesn't have anything for holding waterbottles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/responsepak
[...]

If you look at the pic you can see that clippable straps also allow it to be slung over your handlebars (grab it fast before it gets rebranded for bikepacking hipsters)
I've got one. It's not that keen to stay put over handlebars, is it? It always wants to hang too low IMO. Or does it just not work with mine?

It works quite well as a self-fixing rack bag, though. Either slide a spring clip through the belt channel or use the QR straps around the rack.

The other drawback is that all the pockets and straps add up and make it surprisingly heavy. It weighs the same as my 12 litre cotton long flap saddlebag but carries far less. Better aero, quicker attach/detach but not much good if you might buy stuff while out.

Better aero, quicker attach/detach but not much good if you might buy stuff while out.

Those wonderful folk Polaris used to do something which I am surprised is not more common - a bumbag which could temporarily open out to become a light duty backpack/rucksack. I have one. I think they discontinued it - not sure why. Lots of great cycling stuff is of course discontinued.

classic33

Leg End Member
Those wonderful folk Polaris used to do something which I am surprised is not more common - a bumbag which could temporarily open out to become a light duty backpack/rucksack. I have one. I think they discontinued it - not sure why. Lots of great cycling stuff is of course discontinued.
This sort of thing?
Bumbag/Rucksack

mjr

I've a tiny collapsing backpack (dare2b but there are plenty of similar ones). What would the Polaris one offer over putting the collapsed backpack into a regular bumbag?

On the response pack - I've had a go at using mine again (with the collapsed backpack in a pocket), partly because my racktop bag is suffering from subsidence (which I'll fix with some stiff board once I get a round tuit). I've not had the problems with the self-opening zips that you mention. The main benefits it has over the traditional longflap saddlebag are the easier detach/attach already mentioned, ability to hang other military-style bags from it and the compartments means things stay put so are easier to find (the saddlebag tends to go a bit like Mary Poppins's carpet bag), but it really is rather small for its weight (fitting only tools, wallet, keys, flapjack and six onions - not space for much else) and I wouldn't trust the handlebar attachment.

mjr

Six onions? but what size onions? you can get massive ones like watermelons.
Small, typical cornershop onions. It was a 99p cling-wrapped pack (maybe 20cm x 8cm) from "Farm Fresh" of Wellingborough - a name which I suspect to be false in both words! But it sufficed for dinner and avoided a detour to an actual farm or a butcher-greengrocer that day.

I've a tiny collapsing backpack (dare2b but there are plenty of similar ones). What would the Polaris one offer over putting the collapsed backpack into a regular bumbag?

On the response pack - I've had a go at using mine again (with the collapsed backpack in a pocket), partly because my racktop bag is suffering from subsidence (which I'll fix with some stiff board once I get a round tuit). I've not had the problems with the self-opening zips that you mention. The main benefits it has over the traditional longflap saddlebag are the easier detach/attach already mentioned, ability to hang other military-style bags from it and the compartments means things stay put so are easier to find (the saddlebag tends to go a bit like Mary Poppins's carpet bag), but it really is rather small for its weight (fitting only tools, wallet, keys, flapjack and six onions - not space for much else) and I wouldn't trust the handlebar attachment.
The Polaris also functions as a bumbag when the backpack is folded in, but I take your point that you that these days with advances in materials you can put a backpack in part of a big enough bumbag.
On the response pack I find it plenty big enough - any bigger any it wouldn't be practical. I get a ton of stuff in it on tour, including lots of snacks, and it surely isn't doing badly if you can get multiple vegetables in it :smile:

I have never actually used mine over the bars - I prefer to keep that area free.

I do like it for touring - well made and tough.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi John!
I have bought the Osprey Medium Camera bag, used a few times now, and will write a review soon, as soon as I download the zillion pictures I took from my phone during the last few rides :whistle:
Thank you for your suggestion though: one girl can never have too many cycling bags :biggrin:

Top Bottom