Recommend me a helmet please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Who makes the snazziest, coolest, grooviest helmet these days? And what do the Pros wear?

Hundreds to choose from, Bell, Giro, Limar, Las, Met and on and on and on.

Currently susing a Met Strad, few years old, time for a change, and I've been offered a Limar 909 at silly cheap money. Is it any good?

kyuss

Veteran
Almost every manufacturer makes a tasty helmet, it depends what you're willing to pay and which brand fits. I lusted after a Giro Pneumo and when I finally got the money together for one I was gutted to find that it didn't fit my head shape at all. Even my second choice, the Specialized Decibel didn't fit well. In fact the only brand I've tried that seems to fit my head shape is Bell. If I hadn't given up wearing a lid about 2 years ago I'd be after the new Bell Volt, as worn by CSC and Credit Agricole in this years tour.

Nick1979

I love my new Limar Pro 104, it's very comfortable and is said to be the lightest helmet around. The style is not too flashy and it looks smaller than most other helmets (which I like!). It's around £70.

ChrisKH

Guru
Bell Sweep for me. However I go a lot by fit. I tried the Boardman helmet (sold at Halfords), which is nice an light, but it just didn't seem comfortable.

My recommendation is to get yourself along to a stockist (e.g. Evans) and find some you like and that fit and then order online to get the cheapest deal.

I really like the Specialized S-works 2D Helmet which I would have got but for the additional £50 I would have had to pay.

slugger_2003

So there is no real difference in protection offered by the different designs and materials used? It's ALL about how it feels on one's head?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Assuming they all correspond with the BS regulations I've been told there's no real difference.

My LBS tells me the more ventilation holes a helmet has, the more strengthening materials will have been used and therefore the more expensive it will be...which seems to follow.

I've got a MET shaped head.

slugger_2003

"LBS"? Local Bike Shop?
Does that mean a more ventilated helmet will be stronger or it will be on-par with non-ventilated helmets, basically strengthened to make up for the loss of strength due to the holes?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Missed your reply yesterday -
Yes, LBS is Local Bike Shop. I think the ventilated helmet is on a par with non-ventilated ones, rather than stronger.

Top Bottom