Recommend me a tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
A little over budget (74p), but plenty of standing room....

Clicky
Wow! I could live in that full time! Looks great but a little excessive for two, i think!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I got a 4-man pop-up tent from Decathlon some years ago - sadly they no longer seem to sell family-sized pop-ups - which is wonderful for two people and palatial for one, and after studying the youtube videos and practising at home I've never really struggled with it "in the field".

They do now sell inflatable family tents, the cheapest being a four-person tent for £200:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-family-41-xl-id_8384152.html

Seems roomy and tall enough. Other manufacturers make similar products. A guy down the road put an inflatable tent up in his garden last summer, I went along and had a look and he had only good things to say about it.
These are really excellent for the price (and by any measure). Worth the investment. We first used ours in the persisting rain at a group camp and got some envious looks from the more conventional pitchers. Take a wander along and have a look.

KneesUp

Guru
Wow! I could live in that full time! Looks great but a little excessive for two, i think!
I guess it depends on the people - I don't much like the hexagonal tents because it never seems like a great use of space, but the tunnel tent I'm trying to sell you is great - you get two bedroom 'pods' at the far end, which has no windows. You don't have to fit them both, though we do. We have the double airbed in one and the single in the other, so the single one also becomes the dressing room. Obviously if you're not using it for any bed, it can be a luxury dressing room / place to put stuff - as we usually camp in the UK we always have a collection of blankets for use when sitting out in the evening and they also live in the less-full pod. I think what I'm saying is you can't have to much space to louge about!

Outisde the pods you have a further two sections, and a front wall that can go after the first one, giving you an open porch, at right at the front so when you close the door the whole tent is closed. In the UK it's generally the latter ...

This space has a vented window, next to which I place our two ring hob on a kitchen stand thing. There is room next to it for our kitchen cupboard thing, which contains all the food and crockery/cutlery. On the other side we have another cupoard thing in which we keep all the clothes (unless it's just for a night or so) Because these are to the sides, you can walk in the whole rest of the tent, and there is room for our camping table in the middle, which may be less important in France, but we've been to Wales. The space means that when we go out everything (3 x camping chairs, the table, the benches) fits inside so it's tidier for everyone else and there's no worry if it does rain.

Putting it up took me about an hour last time, but I did it on my own, and hadn't done it for two years because we used the massive one the previous year. It's actaully really simple, and two of you could do it in 20 minutes I reckon. OK, so it's not 'infaltable tent' speed, but it's easy enough. You put foour flexible poles through each section left to right. Or right to left, whatever. You then flex them to a loop using the straps to hold the poles in place, lightly peg so it doesn't escape in the breeze and then nip inside to slip some extendable steel bars longituanaly (there are little reinfoced pockets they fit into) and extend them to make the whole thing rigid front to back. Then peg properly and fit the included groundsheet with velcro.

It's such a sensible use of space, I love it. Ok so it's not going to last 30 years, but modern tents don't because they degrade in UV light, but it's stood up to cosatal gusts in Norfolk, Welsh rain, a child tripping over the guy lines repeatedly and everything else we've thrown at it, and it has coped admirably.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Another vote for Coleman here! We have a Coleman (bought on clearance at Sears) and have used it a few times a year for 9 years. It is a 4 person tent but that means it is spacious for 2 (and our 2 dogs) with a place to store our cooler and gear while still able to move around, so plenty of space for bike storage! It is a pole tent with room to stand, and has withstood the most torrential downpour I have ever experienced in life about 4 years ago at a festival with absolutely no leaks. The bottom is also very sturdy, no problems with moisture seeping in or getting torn on roots. Fairly easy to get up and down and doesn't take up too much space in my small Chevy.

the stupid one

Über Member
I finally had a good idea! Yay!

The Lone Rider

Whats peoples views on the Coleman Darwin 2 for my cycling tour. Its 3000mm do you think this will be any good for a 2 weeks cycle to Spain end of June. Anyone got one is it compact enough for my bike?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Whats peoples views on the Coleman Darwin 2 for my cycling tour. Its 3000mm do you think this will be any good for a 2 weeks cycle to Spain end of June. Anyone got one is it compact enough for my bike?

At 4.2kg it seems a little on the heavy side. Those windows and curtains are a waste of weight, as are fibreglass poles. It's pack size at 53cm long is is pretty big too.
I'd suggest spending a little more on something like a Vango Banshee which is more suited to cycle touring.
My own Coleman Avior X2 is only 2.6kg and some consider that to be heavy.

At 4.2kg it seems a little on the heavy side. Those windows and curtains are a waste of weight, as are fibreglass poles. It's pack size at 53cm long is is pretty big too.
I'd suggest spending a little more on something like a Vango Banshee which is more suited to cycle touring.
My own Coleman Avior X2 is only 2.6kg and some consider that to be heavy.
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/festi...MIjIiArd3N2gIVxp8bCh18HQ-qEAQYAyABEgKwnPD_BwE says
  • Pack Size: 46 x 15.5 x 15.5cm
  • Weight: 2.8kg
I wonder if you were looking at a different Coleman?
ETA - maybe the 2+?
https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Colem...MIjIiArd3N2gIVxp8bCh18HQ-qEAQYASABEgKpyPD_BwE

Top Bottom