Recommend me a tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Budget is what is putting me off the inflatable ones.

We have an inflatable tent, marvellous bit of kit but as you say, expensive. But you do get what you pay for imho

It is also VERY heavy and fills half of my boot (in a massive boot)

I recommended it to a mate who isn't really into camping, just for ease and he loves the lack of hassle

jay clock

Massive member
Whatever you go for, choose one bigger than needed. So 3 or 4 person for two of you. And if car camping weight doesn't matter.....

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My dad and stepmum told me about one of their recent camping trips. They were watching some poor fellow trying to fold away his inflatable tent and were in hysterics. Getting the air out seemed a bit of an unnecessary faff.
Gimmie old fashioned poles anyday.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Whatever you go for, choose one bigger than needed. So 3 or 4 person for two of you. And if car camping weight doesn't matter.....

It matters a little bit. Even when an engine is pulling all the weight, it's burning petrol/diesel and the more weight is pulled the more is burned.
Our last camping trip we had to carry the camping stuff over the field to a dryish spot so the car wouldn't get stuck and the site we're going to this year isn't accessible to cars or campers.
Tesco are liars. Every little helps? Not where camping weight is concerned.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We do “luxury camping”, in a Campervan, so, no first hand experience really. Three daughters who do “real Camping”, have vango tunnel type tents with fibreglass(?) poles. I have helped erect them, when they (the daughters) have gatecrashed our peace and quiet. Seem simple enough, even to an unpracticed novice 70 year old (ie me). I would agree on getting a “size” bigger, daughters seem to lug a lot of “gear”, which has to be stored somewhere. Hope you have a great time!

@Julia9054 - do I recall correctly that you are based in God's Own County?
If so, I have a timeshare tent (given to me by a lovely friend but she's borowed it back once for a trip) that you'd be welcome to borrow. Technically 5 berth, we found it worked very well for me + 2 Cubs. It isn't currently in the Den but will head back here and you'd be very welcome to borrow it.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
@User10119 that is an extremely kind offer. However, it is time for me to update my 20 year old family camping equipment for something a bit more fit for purpose for the two of us. Investment now will mean we have the tent for future years. When camping with the kids, we used to go to a large family camp site and stay for about a week so ease of setting up camp was less of an issue that comfort. With just the two of us, we intend to be moving on every couple of days. This is what is catching my eye at the moment
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-3-xlfreshblack-id_8492484.html
But a trip to Decathlon is on the cards to look at things properly. Have now booked Eurotunnel and 3 nights in an Airbnb in Brantome to start us off! Can't wait!

@User10119 that is an extremely kind offer. However, it is time for me to update my 20 year old family camping equipment for something a bit more fit for purpose for the two of us. Investment now will mean we have the tent for future years. When camping with the kids, we used to go to a large family camp site and stay for about a week so ease of setting up camp was less of an issue that comfort. With just the two of us, we intend to be moving on every couple of days. This is what is catching my eye at the moment
But a trip to Decathlon is on the cards to look at things properly. Have now booked Eurotunnel and 3 nights in an Airbnb in Brantome to start us off! Can't wait!

Hi Julia9054

Just an observation re the tent you linked to

Decathlon stuff is good but tend to lack things like sewn in ground sheets for the porch/living space, maybe not an issue but worth thinking about

Good luck with your search

KneesUp

Guru
We also have a behemoth of a tent - it's canvas with steel poles, sleeps 6 comfortably but if sold now would be marketed as 14 berth I suspect. However, the canvas alone takes up an entire car seat, and the poles are ridiculous. It's 65kg all in. Absolutely amazing when it's up though - you can stand up in every corner, you can cook in it because it has a special stick-out vented bit, you can sit 8 people down to eat inside when it's raining. It's an awesome tent. But, it's massive and weighs 65kg. It's not worth it unless you're not moving it for a week, and if we use it we always need the trailer. (Apaprt from that one time we didn't take the trailer and it rained as we were packing - we'll not talk about that time, if you don't mind)

We now also have a smaller, lighter tent. It's not cotton, so it's not so warm on cold days, nor is it so cool on hot days, and it definitely isn't as quite on windy days, bit it does fit in a bag you can put in the boot without thinking "Right, well that's pretty much full" We didn't want to lose the ability to stand up in it, so we eneded up with a 'Dutch Mountains' tent from Obelink - it's narrower than the massive tent, but almost as long - you can get double air beds in both pods, and eat and cook inside, and stand in almost all of it. They don't seem to do our exact model anymore (it's 3 years old) but this one seems close (it's bigger than ours) and is in budget https://www.obelink.co.uk/lugano-6.html?category_params=s_company=4&category_id=4188 It is much quicker to put up, and becuase it's lighter it's less tiring, and one person (me, usually) can do it alone. You've no chance doing the beast on your own, a pole would crack your skull soon as look at you :smile:

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5209268, member: 10119"]Actually, I would say don't underestimate the deep and glorious joy that a tent you stand up in brings you. Or maybe that's just creaky and not-very-bendy me....[/QUOTE]
Yeah - that's the only bit that's putting me off!

classic33

Leg End Member
What's the most you'd spend on one?
Is being able to stand up inside still important?

Worth considering, having followed the link you give, is how do you replace a pole if it breaks on an easy-pitch tent. Poles tend to sewn in. Will the tent still be usable if one were to break.

If buying now, going with the type in your link, I'd be giving thought to the Scafell 300+.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/camping/tents/3-man-tents.html?size=&page=0&sort=price,asc&filter=
Cotswolds.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Being able to stand up in a tent is very important if you're with other people. I've camped on my own in the crappest £10 tent as well as our larger ones, and if it's not just you, standing up makes a huge difference to how little the other person gets in the way!

If your tent is just somewhere you sleep, as my £10 one was, it's fine. If you want to relax in it, perhaps read a book, or cook, or put your stuff somewhere, a standy-uppy tent is brilliant. Don't forget the OP is car caming so will probably have more 'stuff' than a cycle tourist - like a proper stove and a table and so on. I do like our Dutch-bought tunnel. 205cm high in the middle.

Screenshot from 2018-04-09 23-39-48.png

Top Bottom