Recommend me a tourer and why please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cinelli Hobo bootleg, because....I want one!

tumblr_nvtzdzn6dw1uiw3j6o1_1280.jpg
Indeed lovely bike - had a good look at one locked up near the my office the other day.
But.... it's called the HoBOOTLEG, not the Hobo Bootleg. I know this because they were threatened with legal action for infringing Hobo Bicycles and they agreed to change the name.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
you could do it for cheap:

I bought an 1980's Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike for £10, converted it with drop bars, bar end shifters, added a rear pannier rack with Carradice Super C panniers, added an old Brooks saddle, a red water bottle and sold it for £250 ... all parts were 2nd hand and were cheap... I did however buy new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 2 inch tyres, but even those were cheap as I bought them off ebay for £39 for the pair: (amazing tyres)

needs a pair of mudguards and will be an amazing winter bike. The red and green paint job is all original (this is how they were sold) .... These old Bridgestones are highly sought after in the USA .... guys are doing similar to old Trek and Specialized mountain bikes

s-l1600.jpg
Love it.
I've a 531 MTB tubed Saracen built Evans from the mid 80s and I often wonder if I should convert it in the above stylee
Fark 'gravel bikes or expedition bikes, old MTBs can be made to do it all.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
you could do it for cheap:

I bought an 1980's Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike for £10, converted it with drop bars, bar end shifters, added a rear pannier rack with Carradice Super C panniers, added an old Brooks saddle, a red water bottle and sold it for £250 ... all parts were 2nd hand and were cheap... I did however buy new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 2 inch tyres, but even those were cheap as I bought them off ebay for £39 for the pair: (amazing tyres)

needs a pair of mudguards and will be an amazing winter bike. The red and green paint job is all original (this is how they were sold) .... These old Bridgestones are highly sought after in the USA .... guys are doing similar to old Trek and Specialized mountain bikes

s-l1600.jpg
Why sell it? looks a great bike

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a Koga World Traveller 29 I am selling. 54cm frame. It is in excellent condition and works exactly as it should. Great for mountains as the gearing is so good. A true RTW bike.

I am selling because I am moving into ultra light touring and need more space for motorbikes..

Priced well within your budget.

If you are interested get in touch and I will send photos.

http://www.bisikletgezgini.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Koga-World-Traveller29.jpg

As @Fab Foodie and @dim have said, an old mtb works well. The bike in the image is a ridgeback 604, about 20 years old. I've stuck some drops on it, some sti levers and a rack. It took me to Wales earlier this year. No other bike I own, including my Genesis equilibrium would have coped with the rough sections.

It really is a tourer in all but name.

Good luck with the search
IMAG3169.jpg

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful replies. I have plenty of food for thought, I'm going to be looking into it.
My other half is moaning about the cost, consequently my original budget of a grand has been halved. So now I'm seriously thinking of going down the road of buying and upgrading / converting an older bike or an MTB as some of you have suggested. This could be a great project and satisfyingly fun to do.
Any ideas on where to start ? EBay, I know, but it has to be close to me as I don't have transport. An old Galaxy maybe ? As I like the geometry. But then I'd probably have more luck locally with an old MTB as suggested, any thoughts on which ones to look for that have the mounting points for mudguards and a rack ?
Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful replies. I have plenty of food for thought, I'm going to be looking into it.
My other half is moaning about the cost, consequently my original budget of a grand has been halved. So now I'm seriously thinking of going down the road of buying and upgrading / converting an older bike or an MTB as some of you have suggested. This could be a great project and satisfyingly fun to do.
Any ideas on where to start ? EBay, I know, but it has to be close to me as I don't have transport. An old Galaxy maybe ? As I like the geometry. But then I'd probably have more luck locally with an old MTB as suggested, any thoughts on which ones to look for that have the mounting points for mudguards and a rack ?
Thanks again.

Have a look around your local charity shops, help the aged etc. I've seen loads at the local tip too.

I bought myself a Genesis Equilibrium Ltd Edition, excellent tourer ... you could pick up a used one for under £1k

From carbon fork with built in rack mounts
Rear rack mounts
Front and rear mudguard fixings
700c wheels
Semi hydraulic disk brakes
11 speed
Reynolds 725

Just did channel to med on it, very comfortable, easily carries a good load, quite a swift bike as well. Not sure you want to cross a continent with a carbon fork but it's good for JOGLE type trips

Please don't take personally as your post/advice is clearly well meant, but to be honest I wouldn't cross the UK with a carbon fork. Maybe I'm getting set in my ways but I just can't understand folk putting a carbon fork on a tourer.

Reactions: mjr
As @Fab Foodie and @dim have said, an old mtb works well. The bike in the image is a ridgeback 604, about 20 years old. I've stuck some drops on it, some sti levers and a rack. It took me to Wales earlier this year. No other bike I own, including my Genesis equilibrium would have coped with the rough sections.

It really is a tourer in all but name.

Good luck with the search
View attachment 146112
Can I ask what the frame is made of in that 604? Many of Ridgeback's old model numbers remain a mystery to me, not to mention the suffixes. Old catalogues etc used to be on the web but not any more I think. I agree with you about old Ridgebacks - I now have three - one (frame only pretty much) cost me £30, another (full bike been kept as new in a south London garage for 20 years) £80. Agree with you about the "tourer in all but name" - it amuses me no end that after they veered off into aluminium hybrids as the new century beckoned, some of Ridgeback's new steel tourers look so damn like my near 20 year old Ridgeback hybrid. Thete really is no end of **s** spewed by the bike industry these days in an effort to boost margins. My fully built up "tourer" Ridgeback is I think the equal of a new branded tourer someone would ask well over a grand for. And - all the better - most thieves would turn their noses up at it.

Note to Chess.

Apart from the great advice from folk above to check out Spa's own tourer, I'd also check out their web page in general - they sell other tourers and do healthy discounts at this time of year.

Do I take it that because of your Galaxy past you are only looking at drop bar bikes or would you consider flat bar?

Thanks again.
Cripes.
That sounds like questionable behaviour to me. I'd care to venture that £1,000 isn't a massive slice of your joint household budget and that grand may well buy something that will last a lifetime - and keep you in good health/stop you going stir crazy. The shaved £500 wouldn't buy that many tanks of petrol if you both drive a household car here and there.

Getting away from my possibly marriage threatening shock ( :smile: ) and on a more positive note, check out:

http://www.findthatbike.co.uk/

You can also set up daily alerts by bike and area. It's how I found my two latest Ridgebacks.

Do let er indoors know that you might be gone some time in the shed covered in lube ....

Do keep us posted on how you get along - all the best.

PS - if salvaging something older, I'd be tempted to build it as 8 speed if you can get some good shifters - talk of 8 speed's demise are much exaggerated.

Top Bottom