Recommend me a tourer and why please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Do I take it that because of your Galaxy past you are only looking at drop bar bikes or would you consider flat bar?

No mate, not necessarily, it's just been that long since I rode anything else. And same with the modern bikes, I haven't kept up with modern tech and stuff. I'm finding it a bit bewildering to be honest. Thanks.

Cripes.
That sounds like questionable behaviour to me. I'd care to venture that £1,000 isn't a massive slice of your joint household budget and that grand may well buy something that will last a lifetime - and keep you in good health/stop you going stir crazy. The shaved £500 wouldn't buy that many tanks of petrol if you both drive a household car here and there.

I know mate, I have. She's on about Christmas already. I'm looking forward to locking myself in my shed with plenty to do and tinker with. :becool:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be looking for a CrMo frame, either 501 or Tange tubing unless you can find a 531st frame (Dawes Galaxy/ Raleigh Royal)

Although my 'off tarmac' touring bike is an old Raleigh 'Outlander' and that's only High Tensile Steel (basic tubing)

dim

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful replies. I have plenty of food for thought, I'm going to be looking into it.
My other half is moaning about the cost, consequently my original budget of a grand has been halved. So now I'm seriously thinking of going down the road of buying and upgrading / converting an older bike or an MTB as some of you have suggested. This could be a great project and satisfyingly fun to do.
Any ideas on where to start ? EBay, I know, but it has to be close to me as I don't have transport. An old Galaxy maybe ? As I like the geometry. But then I'd probably have more luck locally with an old MTB as suggested, any thoughts on which ones to look for that have the mounting points for mudguards and a rack ?
Thanks again.

look at this thread which will give you plenty of ideas:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/828426-show-your-vintage-mtb-drop-bar-conversions.html

not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum? .... if not, please can a moderator delete it

No mate, not necessarily, it's just been that long since I rode anything else. And same with the modern bikes, I haven't kept up with modern tech and stuff. I'm finding it a bit bewildering to be honest. Thanks.
/QUOTE]

Ah, in that case I think I would seriously consider going flat bar with bar ends. I'm not overly bike techie but with rebuilds have done everything except build a wheel or install a headset (I have taken apart and serviced) and am thankful that I have never had to worry about the compatibility issues drop bar folk have to fret about if they are not using friction shifters. I must admit to much preferring flat bar as a riding experience but it also makes things a lot simpler and often cheaper. You can use V brakes very easily for instance which are very economical, very effective, and pretty easy to fit. In short, flat bar will be way less bewildering and I'd ignore all the rot about hand positions - with my long bar ends I have three and that's quite enough - the fourth, hands behind my head as I whistle joyfully admiring the views over the hedges the drop bar folks are oblivious to is always as an option as well.

Bike tech is advancing at a hell of a rate at the moment and not always for the best - I'd get on with your second hand buy and restoring/tinkering before the bike industry totally discontinues all the good solid stuff and, 1984 stylee, eliminates anyone who remembers it.

I know mate, I have. She's on about Christmas already. I'm looking forward to locking myself in my shed with plenty to do and tinker with. :becool:

Yes, Christmas will surely cost a fair bit maybe you can ask for some assorted bike bits - or flog some of her old forgotten stuff from the back of the wardrobe to build up a paypal fund for bits.

Keep us posted - I may be able to recommend some bits once you have decided which way you are going

Sorry have messed up the multi-quote thing - trust it can be deciphered.

dim

check ebay daily and get a used good bike at reasonable cost ....

a quick check and found this for £600 or best offer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-G...717487?hash=item2ef50c446f:g:tZUAAOSw8w1X7m2W

s-l1600.jpg

or this old Dawes Galaxy for £200:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-7...d=100005&rk=6&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=182295521859

s-l1600.jpg

but be patient and check ebay daily for new listings .... thats how I have bought most of my bikes (all good bargains)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Thanks again all. The thing I like most about this forum is there are so many knowledgeable, helpful and friendly members on here that are willing to take the time to advise. It's good to know I'm not alone in my endeavours and I can ask on here for help if I get stuck with something. Keep it coming and I'll keep you appraised of how I'm progressing and keep asking questions on this thread if that's OK.
I'm off for a while to do some research and thinking.
I'm really appreciating your help and advice.
Respect to you all, I'm feeling much better already, especially with the wife having a go at me over it. She wouldn't care less if I had to walk to work, so long as the bills are paid ect.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As it's mostly commuting my vote would be for a flat bar road-style bike - with a bar end mirror.

Worth a look at Pinnacle bikes from Evans, you could get a higher range one well within your budget.

Plenty with steel forks and relatively narrow tyres - both of which you want.

Some have triples at the front if you want low gearing.

Plenty of bosses as well, handy for mounting mudguards and a carrier, which you may need for carrying stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks again all. The thing I like most about this forum is there are so many knowledgeable, helpful and friendly members on here that are willing to take the time to advise. It's good to know I'm not alone in my endeavours and I can ask on here for help if I get stuck with something. Keep it coming and I'll keep you appraised of how I'm progressing and keep asking questions on this thread if that's OK.
I'm off for a while to do some research and thinking.
I'm really appreciating your help and advice.
Respect to you all, I'm feeling much better already, especially with the wife having a go at me over it. She wouldn't care less if I had to walk to work, so long as the bills are paid ect.
From another thread,

Raleigh 531 Super Tourist for 99p start in Blackpool:

s-l1600.jpg

hatler

Guru
Please don't take personally as your post/advice is clearly well meant, but to be honest I wouldn't cross the UK with a carbon fork. Maybe I'm getting set in my ways but I just can't understand folk putting a carbon fork on a tourer.
I used to hold that view but I have been swayed by experience from the boating world. Masts, booms and spinnaker poles all used to be aluminium and I was deeply suspicious of this new-fangled carbon stuff. Roll on a few years and I am a complete convert to the black stuff. Unbelievably resilient, super strong and ridiculously light. I have fitted my once-in-a-lifetime bike with a carbon fork and have complete peace of mind about its ability to continue to perform as designed, however fast I am going.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I used to hold that view but I have been swayed by experience from the boating world. Masts, booms and spinnaker poles all used to be aluminium and I was deeply suspicious of this new-fangled carbon stuff. Roll on a few years and I am a complete convert to the black stuff. Unbelievably resilient, super strong and ridiculously light.
Do carbon masts and so on have aluminum bits stuck in them at critical points like many (all?) carbon forks do, though?

hatler

Guru
Typically, fittings on carbon spars are stainless. I'll take a close look and let you know precisely how the fittings are fitted.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom