Recommend me a tourer and why please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
One observation, if I may. Based on the OP's OP, he doesn't want to do touring, but wants a bike to use for commuting and weekend pottering. 20 years ago that niche was filled by tourers, but it isn't any more. There have been a lot of suggestions in the thread for genuine tourers that can haul large amounts of stuff very long distances - but they're over-engineered for what the OP actually needs, especially given his budget.

If he's mechanically minded, an old frame of some kind would be a good idea, as long it's sound and the right size for modern components. If not, then the best value bike will be a hybrid from one of the big chains.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
How about a Ridgeback Voyage?
I managed to pick one up at the end of last year for £500.
It's a good all rounder - just like a 'bike' used to be.
Screenshot_2016-10-03-07-49-39.png

KneesUp

Guru
I've also made a 'tourer' (I prefer the term 'bike') out of an old MTB.

THe Fuji tourer is highly thought off - exclusive to Evans in the UK, and I've never seen one in stock, but I believe they are good at geting bikes in to try.

IMAG3435.jpg
How about a Ridgeback Voyage?
I managed to pick one up at the end of last year for £500.
It's a good all rounder - just like a 'bike' used to be.
View attachment 146404

I like those voyages, I wish i had a bigger shed.

whilst out and about at the weekend, i noticed this. its an older Claude Butler - not to be mistaken for the newer incarnations. it looks ideal for your requirements too.

it serves to show that searching some of the less promoted brands may give good results.

edit: a quick search revealed this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272398454934?rmvSB=true

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
£200 gets you a good used Trek 7.2 FX hybrid with mudguards and pannier rack off ebay .... a really good comfortable fast bike for commuting
£200 will also get you one of these delivered to your door.
20160929_141100.jpg

I've put mudguards and a rack on it and will use it as a general run around.
See this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wilier-asolo.175020/
First ride on it today averaging 15.7 mph for 16 miles. It's a very nice ride.:okay:

£200 will also get you one of these delivered to your door.
View attachment 146454

I've put mudguards and a rack on it and will use it as a general run around.
See this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wilier-asolo.175020/
First ride on it today averaging 15.7 mph for 16 miles. It's a very nice ride.:okay:

that looks like a fair amount of bike for the money

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
that looks like a fair amount of bike for the money
My LBS manager was astounded at the price. His initial guess was £550.
He had a ride on it and gave it the thumbs up. In fact he said he might get one for himself as a winter hack.
He manages a Wilier dealership!

KneesUp

Guru
My LBS manager was astounded at the price. His initial guess was £550.
He had a ride on it and gave it the thumbs up. In fact he said he might get one for himself as a winter hack.
He manages a Wilier dealership!
A bit arse up / face down for a tourer though?

In their (even earlier) days, Oxford Bike Works used to do 1E model, which was made from old MTB frames that had been repainted - I presume some bankrupt stock or something that they managed to get hold of.

hatler

Guru
Boat stuff and bits of bikes are hardly similar though are they? I am well aware that carbon is widely used in planes but that is pretty different as well. Planes tend not to take knocks, bumps etc and if a plane you are on should crash the resilience of the bits of carbon in it are likely to be of us much interest to you as the fate of the pre-packed dinners. There is strength and strength. And why does a few grams matter on a tourer anyway? I don't see the relevance of the speed issue at all. I am sure you can go very fast on a carbon fork - many pros far fitter than me have proved it. I never doubted it. But so what?

They're similar in that the product will have been designed to not fail given the likely loads and types of impact. I'm very conscious that a point impact on a piece of carbon can cause it either to fail or not be relied upon. But when that sort of event happens it's pretty obvious. That's not the sort of thing I expect to have happen whilst I am cycling, unless it's such a big crunch that I am unlikely still to be astride my bike, in which case I've got other things to worry about.

On the plus side for carbon - it doesn't fatigue, unlike steel and aluminium.

I inhabit a space now where I trust my carbon fork more than I would a steel or ally version.

My comment about going fast was more to emphasise the fact that I have complete confidence in the fork's not failing, as opposed to the idea that the bike is faster because it's got a carbon fork fitted. (In fact, I reckon I was faster downhill with a steel fork because the bike weighed more.)

Top Bottom