Recommend me a tourer and why please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to hold that view but I have been swayed by experience from the boating world. Masts, booms and spinnaker poles all used to be aluminium and I was deeply suspicious of this new-fangled carbon stuff. Roll on a few years and I am a complete convert to the black stuff. Unbelievably resilient, super strong and ridiculously light. I have fitted my once-in-a-lifetime bike with a carbon fork and have complete peace of mind about its ability to continue to perform as designed, however fast I am going.
Boat stuff and bits of bikes are hardly similar though are they? I am well aware that carbon is widely used in planes but that is pretty different as well. Planes tend not to take knocks, bumps etc and if a plane you are on should crash the resilience of the bits of carbon in it are likely to be of us much interest to you as the fate of the pre-packed dinners. There is strength and strength. And why does a few grams matter on a tourer anyway? I don't see the relevance of the speed issue at all. I am sure you can go very fast on a carbon fork - many pros far fitter than me have proved it. I never doubted it. But so what?

Can I ask what the frame is made of in that 604? Many of Ridgeback's old model numbers remain a mystery to me, not to mention the suffixes. Old catalogues etc used to be on the web but not any more I think. I agree with you about old Ridgebacks - I now have three - one (frame only pretty much) cost me £30, another (full bike been kept as new in a south London garage for 20 years) £80. Agree with you about the "tourer in all but name" - it amuses me no end that after they veered off into aluminium hybrids as the new century beckoned, some of Ridgeback's new steel tourers look so damn like my near 20 year old Ridgeback hybrid. Thete really is no end of **s** spewed by the bike industry these days in an effort to boost margins. My fully built up "tourer" Ridgeback is I think the equal of a new branded tourer someone would ask well over a grand for. And - all the better - most thieves would turn their noses up at it.

Iys a bomb proof cromo frame. It's heavy but pretty stable.

I worked at Madison at the time of purchase so got it at 25 percent of the real cost due to a scratch .

I can't remember what all the prefixes or numbers were in relation to but I know I managed to snaffle some better components from a higher model and do a swap.

The only issue I have are the brakes, not the best and need updating.

alicat

Legendary Member
Chess - now your budget has shrunk it could be worth having a look at Edinburgh Cycle Coop's offerings. They have a branch in Chapel Allerton, Leeds.

Their touring bikes start at £399 for their own-brand Revolution Country 1 '16 already equipped with pannier rack and mudguards.

Although I do think it would be a false economy to spend under £750 on a bike that will get day-in, day-out use (preaching to the converted, I know).

I worked at Madison at the time of purchase so got it at 25 percent of the real cost due to a scratch .

I can't remember what all the prefixes or numbers were in relation to but I know I managed to snaffle some better components from a higher model and do a swap.

Thanks for the reply.

Any more info on the tubing - is it some sort of tubing from Tange by any chance?

It should say something on the frame.

The 604 I assume from your earlier post has 26 inch wheels - correct?

I am assuming the brakes you have reservations about are cantis - my Ridgeback 520SX came with Altus cantis. Fine for general purpose riding, in fact I rather liked them, but coming down a steep Lancashire hill with a load I did worry if I was going to stop. Now fitted with V brakes. Cheap, effective, pretty easy to fit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I swapped the brakes on my 502 for V-brakes (mind you I changed the levers to trigger shifters as well)

Thanks for the reply.

Any more info on the tubing - is it some sort of tubing from Tange by any chance?

It should say something on the frame.

The 604 I assume from your earlier post has 26 inch wheels - correct?

I am assuming the brakes you have reservations about are cantis - my Ridgeback 520SX came with Altus cantis. Fine for general purpose riding, in fact I rather liked them, but coming down a steep Lancashire hill with a load I did worry if I was going to stop. Now fitted with V brakes. Cheap, effective, pretty easy to fit.

Evening @Blue Hills

Correct about the wheels. I have fitted 700s as a experiment, enough clearance, new brakes would be needed.

Next time I ride it, I'll take a load of decent close ups and post them.

Also correct about the cantilever brakes, what v brakes did you use?

I'd be keen to see your collection too if you have images. I like ridgeback/genesis stuff.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the reply.

Will PM you on this as it is maybe diverting from the OP's initial question, If OP is interested in the virtues of old Ridgebacks he can then open a new thread asking about and we can all (for Raleighnut is also a fan) dive back in.

@Blue Hills fair point, but it may also show features on the bikes that are handy on a tourer.

MarkF

Guru
Love the old MTB's, I used an old GT for a few years to tour and wouldn't mind another one to fettle.

I have a Discovery 501 that I tour on, no problem with it's carbon forks and it's been all over Europe on rough stuff.

I bought this last year for £60, I bought it for the frame really, just about everything else was shagged. Can't remember what I spent on it but I think in total, about £225. Think I'll add some butterfly bars to give me more hand options but it's proved a very comfortable all day rider this summer.

adventure1.jpg

MarkF

Guru
There are a few of us ride old Ridgebacks, mine has a Tange CrMo tube frame. Great bikes.

The alu/carbon Discovery is my usual choice of weapon, but that's just familiarity, the Ridgeback gives a far superior ride, I am keeping it for best! ^_^

The GT I had was an Outpost, it was hugely comfortable all day, I'd buy this (if it was local) and make up a cracking touring for circa £200.

Love the old MTB's, I used an old GT for a few years to tour and wouldn't mind another one to fettle.

I have a Discovery 501 that I tour on, no problem with it's carbon forks and it's been all over Europe on rough stuff.

I bought this last year for £60, I bought it for the frame really, just about everything else was shagged. Can't remember what I spent on it but I think in total, about £225. Think I'll add some butterfly bars to give me more hand options but it's proved a very comfortable all day rider this summer.

adventure1.jpg
Another 90s ridgeback! Which one is that? A 525? Have a vague memory that i saw one for sale a while ago but i think it may have been manchester way so no good for me.

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Sounds interesting, this Ridgeback. We ought to start a Ridgeback thread where you could swap info, ideas, pic's, spares resources and build knowledge ect.
Anyone with more knowledge want to kick start it off and put a link on here ?

Top Bottom