Recommend me a winter glove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there any waterproof gloves you can recommend for rides down to just below freezing? Not really sure what to look for in general. Budget about 50ish.

MikeG

Guru
Aldi did some absolute beauties a couple or 3 years ago, for £12 or £15 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, a rat got into my previous bike shed and ate them. And my panniers. And my bar bag. So I'm watching the answers with interest.

I've got the Altura fleece-lined waterproof / windproof ones - forget what they're called now. They were around the £40 mark.

They're actually a little bit too big, but that's not such a bad thing. And I also have a pair of silk glove liners from Decathlon - from their skiing range - for when it gets really cold.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Try some gloves on and buy them. THEN buy some Rab merino gloves from eBay and wear them underneath. Haven’t found a better system for me. I wear neoprene gloves in winter. So long as you can deal with ‘granny’s-been-in-the-bath-to-long-hands’.

Interesting this. After seeing some comments on here about neoprene gloves, I tried a pair of my diving gloves last winter a couple of times, as I know the outer shell on one pair is waterproof and had had a couple of really wet rides. I couldn't get my hands to warm up on the bike.

Adam4868

Guru
For really cold weather i like the Lobster type gloves,planet x have them i think.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/planet-x--waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves?page=4&

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got some Altura Night Vision waterproof gloves that worked (too) well for a couple of hours, but then you could feel the cold starting to seep into the finger ends. They're quite bulky though and not touchscreen friendly, so you have to take them off for such things - which means exposing your slightly sweaty hands to the cold and then putting your hands back in cold, damp gloves... :headshake:

My go to gloves last winter were a pair I got off Amazon for £6.99. They're made from a neoprene-type material, work fairly well at keeping the cold at bay, are waterproof to a point and have touchscreen bits on the finger and thumb ends. If it got really cold I wore them with a pair of liner gloves from that online cycling place near Sheffield that isn't Planet X (sorry, cant remember the name).

So I too will be watching this thread...

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Interesting this. After seeing some comments on here about neoprene gloves, I tried a pair of my diving gloves last winter a couple of times, as I know the outer shell on one pair is waterproof and had had a couple of really wet rides. I couldn't get my hands to warm up on the bike.

Sailing is my background. Neoprene works best when wet. I am quite a sweaty person when working, so after a while they are wet and I am warm. Admittedly, to begin with, my hands are cold.

Top Bottom