Recommend me an Air Con unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
...........a portable Air Con unit.

I promise I'll only run it off my solar panels. :okay:

I expect they are going out of stock as I type but I'll ride this heat wave out and be prepared for the next with the help of the good folks at Cycle Chat :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
How much do you want to spend?

Also better to put what you want a recommendation for in your thread title for people to click

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
How much do you want to spend?

Also better to put what you want a recommendation for in your thread title for people to click

Thanks for the thoughts. 👍

I would hope I can get a properly effective one for a minimal price but I haven't researched much. Hopefully a few hundred squid would keep me cool sporadically for many many years. I'd probably want it to help with knocking the temperature down by say 10C in something like a 50 m^3 space. So 35 C->25C say.

Going to check how to edit the title....:rolleyes:

DRHysted

Guru
Thanks for the thoughts. 👍

I would hope I can get a properly effective one for a minimal price but I haven't researched much. Hopefully a few hundred squid would keep me cool sporadically for many many years. I'd probably want it to help with knocking the temperature down by say 10C in something like a 50 m^3 space. So 35 C->25C say.

Going to check how to edit the title....:rolleyes:

The main problem is venting it. I purchased one last year ready for this year, it works very well within about 5foot of it, but venting it is always an issue and you shouldn’t extend the vent hose.
Currently it’s in the middle of the landing with the vent hose stretching across the stairs to go out the stairway window. It can get the landing from 26C to 18C but the bedrooms still stay about 24. I’ve set up two fans either side trying to blow some of the cold air away.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What do you mean by venting it @DRHysted ? Is that the inevitable drain for water? If it is why can't you extend it as long it runs downhill?

No….portable air cons come with a vent pipe, to vent hot air out the window

93F10943-88A4-4B4A-BF94-A125E23B5312.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember them setting one up in a portakabin / office at a former employers, they couldnt figure why it wasnt cooling the room. No-one thought tò set up the vent, there was as much hot air coming out the back as cold air coming out the front :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No….portable air cons come with a vent pipe, to vent hot air out the window

View attachment 653030

We have one of these. Had it over 15 years. Other than a good hoover out of the fins inside, its been essential in our house, usual modern house that holds heat, costs bugger all to heat all year round, but cooling an issue.

Uses about 1kwh.

They are all a bit noisy.

Top Bottom