Recommend me an Air Con unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course @DRHysted I was forgetting that because our fan unit is outside there's no need for a vent. But what about the water, condensation I think, I guess the unit stores that.

I would look at other solutions - stop the heat getting in. You can get solar films for your windows that aren't hugely expensive but it will stop most of the heat getting in. Or even sun shades outside the window. These seem like more eco friendly solutions ?

DRHysted

Guru
Yeh, most portable units have a water tank for collecting the
Closed systems like this (and fridges etc) tend to drip the condensate onto a warm part of the pump housing or similar to evaporate it.

I specifically purchased a model that doesn’t produce excess moisture. It still has a holding tank which may require draining, but it’s supposed to burn it off normally.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I specifically purchased a model that doesn’t produce excess moisture. It still has a holding tank which may require draining, but it’s supposed to burn it off normally.

This is what ours does. It's rare I've ever emptied the tank, and even then there is just a dribble. We have ours on the landing, with it vented out the bathroom window.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The main problem is venting it. I purchased one last year ready for this year, it works very well within about 5foot of it, but venting it is always an issue and you shouldn’t extend the vent hose.
Currently it’s in the middle of the landing with the vent hose stretching across the stairs to go out the stairway window. It can get the landing from 26C to 18C but the bedrooms still stay about 24. I’ve set up two fans either side trying to blow some of the cold air away.

What make/model is that?

fossyant

What make/model is that and does it do what you expected?

Not so sure - it's a B&Q model from about 20 years ago. 8,000 BTU and uses 950w of power - so about 25p per hour. It's been 100% reliable other than one time it kept overheating, opened up the casing to find the heat exchanger full of dust. Hoovered it out, all OK.

Our house if fairly modern, and, as two bedrooms have south facing windows the heat just builds up. It's essential. Be aware they are not quiet - it's a hum, plus the fan combined. We have ours positioned outside the bathroom, with the hose (and extension) pointed out the bathroom window. The unit then blows along the landing to the bedrooms on the south side. There is enough angle to blow air into my sons room next to the bathroom. We put towels over the banister to keep the blown air on the landing. We've also got a fan that blows some of the cool air into our bedroom, as most ends up in daughter's room - daughter's room faces directly towards the A/C, but ours is at 90 degrees to it.

You can sleep well without getting sweaty. You'll soon get used to the noise, certainly beats sweating to death. Our downstairs is relatively cool.

Let's say, if it broke today, I'd be going straight out and getting another.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not so sure - it's a B&Q model from about 20 years ago. 8,000 BTU and uses 950w of power - so about £25p per hour. It's been 100% reliable other than one time it kept overheating, opened up the casing to find the heat exchanger full of dust. Hoovered it out, all OK.

Our house if fairly modern, and, as two bedrooms have south facing windows the heat just builds up. It's essential. Be aware they are not quiet - it's a hum, plus the fan combined. We have ours positioned outside the bathroom, with the hose (and extension) pointed out the bathroom window. The unit then blows along the landing to the bedrooms on the south side. There is enough angle to blow air into my sons room next to the bathroom. We put towels over the banister to keep the blown air on the landing. We've also got a fan that blows some of the cool air into our bedroom, as most ends up in daughter's room - daughter's room faces directly towards the A/C, but ours is at 90 degrees to it.

You can sleep well without getting sweaty. You'll soon get used to the noise, certainly beats sweating to death. Our downstairs is relatively cool.

Let's say, if it broke today, I'd be going straight out and getting another.

£25 or 25p lol

fossyant

i totally agree there fossy....my tub is deflated in the shed lol

Ours is still up with the pump running - they tend to 'pop' if deflated, especially if done when ambient temperatures are low (creases in the plastic). Ours is sitting at 20c - MrsF has suggested sitting in it to cool down. :laugh:

Top Bottom