Recommend me an undercarriage lube..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles absorb moisture (I wouldn't say they "breathe" as such, but they certainly soak up sweat - a honey Brooks goes dark brown after a long ride. Ewww). This may help a little with undercarriage boils and sores.

RobinS

Veteran
Don't use any creams as routine while on long tours (3 months), if I get any chafing or soreness just use nappy rash cream, which is easily available (and cheap) in any supermarket in Europe.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I'm so hardcore I use chilli oil! :eek:

Actually, I'm a fan of 2Toms Buttshield, I got some at the cycle show a couple of years ago. It doesn't have menthol or arnica or any of those other placebos :smile:, it just leaves your skin really slippy for hours (assuming it contains mostly silicone). I also use it under my bib straps which can chafe me a bit when it's hot

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm so hardcore I use chilli oil! :eek:

Actually, I'm a fan of 2Toms Buttshield, I got some at the cycle show a couple of years ago. It doesn't have menthol or arnica or any of those other placebos :smile:, it just leaves your skin really slippy for hours (assuming it contains mostly silicone). I also use it under my bib straps which can chafe me a bit when it's hot

I've never considered using such ungents, despite doing multiday tours.

But the roll on thing seems a bit problematic unless you're a habitual yogi.
Surely the bottle needs to be inverted, to apply?

But also if it is silicone??

Is that a good thing to be applying to your sensitive, and possibly highly absorbent nether regions?

I don't know :huh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is Sudocreme just as good as the cycling specific lubes on longer distance rides?
Yes.
Sudocrem is really for healing
It's designed to apply to babies' bottoms as a preventive measure to mitigate the risk of nappy rash and contains stuff to do that. Exactly the same function as a cyclist requires.
". . .works in three simple ways:
  • It contains an emollient that soothes sore or inflamed skin.
  • It works as a mild local anaesthetic to help ease pain and irritation.
  • A water-repellent base forms a protective barrier, helping to stop any irritants (urine and faeces) coming into contact with the skin."

mikeymustard

Veteran
I've never considered using such ungents, despite doing multiday tours.

But the roll on thing seems a bit problematic unless you're a habitual yogi.

But also if it is silicone??

Is that a good thing to be applying to your sensitive, and possibly highly absorbent nether regions?

I don't know :huh:

- But the roll on thing seems a bit problematic unless you're a habitual yogi.

- Have you never used a roll on antiperspirant?

- But also if it is silicone??
-
Why?? Do you know something about dimethicone the scientists don't??
Do you use shampoo/conditioner? moisturisers? Barrier cream? Sunscreen? Chances are there'll be silicone in some form in all of them. I think you'll find it's in almost every cosmetic and topical product on the market; anti-aging creams, emollients, hair products, face creams, foot creams, in between creams, make up, foundation, sunscreen etc. etc. including several chamois creams.

- Is that a good thing to be applying to your sensitive, and possibly highly absorbent nether regions?

- Highly absorbent? You're thinking of the Andrex puppy ;)

Besides, it makes those "nether regions" so soft and silky, I just can't resist :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
- But the roll on thing seems a bit problematic unless you're a habitual yogi.

- Have you never used a roll on antiperspirant?

- But also if it is silicone??
-
Why?? Do you know something about dimethicone the scientists don't??
Do you use shampoo/conditioner? moisturisers? Barrier cream? Sunscreen? Chances are there'll be silicone in some form in all of them. I think you'll find it's in almost every cosmetic and topical product on the market; anti-aging creams, emollients, hair products, face creams, foot creams, in between creams, make up, foundation, sunscreen etc. etc. including several chamois creams.

- Is that a good thing to be applying to your sensitive, and possibly highly absorbent nether regions?

- Highly absorbent? You're thinking of the Andrex puppy ;)

Besides, it makes those "nether regions" so soft and silky, I just can't resist :smile:

Well if it works for you..

I kinda only use fairly natural type products - you know the health food store type offerings. Never been that keen on a lathering myself in unpronounceable chemical products, unless its essential.

But I'm sure it's all relatively harmless in the scheme of things.

There are some people though who claim that chemical deodorants - particularly aluminium containing ones may be a contributor to breast cancer.
I don't know what evidence if any there is, but given there are alternatives it seems wise to avoid.

So I guess thinking about putting chemicals in the groin area, which is also well populated with lymph nodes (and other sensitive items) provoked a similar reaction....

And how did you know I was thinking about the Andrex puppy ?? :angel:

Spooky mind reader.. :blush:

PapaZita

Guru
I've been trying some stuff called Slipstream Anti Chafe Sports Cream. I think it's Aloe Vera based. It seems different to most chamois creams in that a small amount is used and it is mostly absorbed but leaves the skin smooth and slippery. I like that there's no thick squelchy stuff in your shorts. So far it seems to have been effective. I'm only on my first tube, but can see myself buying more.

(No link, because my browser is giving dire warnings about their web site. It's definitely a legit product though, and can be found on Amazon and eBay).

GaGa

Really??

So you would advise the OP that he pays £70+ for a saddle that can take months to break in and that may never suit him. Instead of paying a couple of pounds for a tube of cream.

Good advice that.

I use a hand barrier cream and also a nappy rash cream with zinc in it. I think you can use almost anything providing you remember to stop and reapply it occasionally. Also stopping and readjusting your shorts when you feel it starting to rub is a good idea. Im sure Im not the only one who just rides through it, when stopping for a couple of minutes and sorting it out would be the wiser move.
I can only speak from my own experience. Brooks B17, £64 online from Germany + £ 9 for the small tin of saddle cream. 60 mile ride over 2 weeks, no padded shorts . If you were to ask me how it feels now on a long ride I couldn't tell you because I don't realize I'm sat on a saddle. He could always sell the saddle if he didn't get on with it, they fetch good money even used ones.

Top Bottom