Recommend me an undercarriage lube..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I got some Happy Bottom Bum Butter free from Charlie the Bike Monger. Use it on longer rides and seems ok.

I particularly like their tagline " Tested on @rseholes not animals"

Yup i'm a sucker for a good tag line too :angel:

Might have to get some - just because

Is it actually just butter though ?? Cos i've got some of that in the fridge already ....

yello

I use a sudocrem/e45 mix, but only because it's easier to apply. Sudocrem is fine on its own (works for me anyway) but it is thick. Adding the E45 just thins it out a bit.

If you like your creams a bit fancy then, if you search, someone on here posted a home brew recipe.... with tea tree oil and , if I recall correctly, lavender oil. It works just fine and smells nice (or maybe not, opinions differ) too.

nickAKA

Über Member
I got some assos chamois creme when it was on offer at merlin, seems OK.
Best stuff I've tried is called enzo's button hole chamois cream (again on offer) it's 'euro style' so leaves your ring minty fresh... Stings a bit if you overdo it in the most inelegant of areas but no chafing whatsoever.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I got some assos chamois creme when it was on offer at merlin, seems OK.
Best stuff I've tried is called enzo's button hole chamois cream (again on offer) it's 'euro style' so leaves your ring minty fresh... Stings a bit if you overdo it in the most inelegant of areas but no chafing whatsoever.

Very much Euro go-faster stylee for the ladies then?? :eek:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I can only speak from my own experience. Brooks B17, £64 online from Germany + £ 9 for the small tin of saddle cream. 60 mile ride over 2 weeks, no padded shorts . If you were to ask me how it feels now on a long ride I couldn't tell you because I don't realize I'm sat on a saddle. He could always sell the saddle if he didn't get on with it, they fetch good money even used ones.
I have 3 brooks saddles. One was great out of the box. I rode an imperial century the day after buying it. Another took 18 months to break in and Ive never got used to the third and its screwed to the ceiling of my shed. Brooks are expensive, they dont suit everyone and take ages to dry when wet. There are plenty of alternative, cheaper and better saddles out there these days. But mention saddles on here and its a knee jerk reaction that someone will say "buy a brooks". I have 8 bikes and dont use Brooks on any of them now. Test ride a Brooks by all means but look at other saddles as well.

I have 3 brooks saddles. One was great out of the box. I rode an imperial century the day after buying it. Another took 18 months to break in and Ive never got used to the third and its screwed to the ceiling of my shed. Brooks are expensive, they dont suit everyone and take ages to dry when wet. There are plenty of alternative, cheaper and better saddles out there these days. But mention saddles on here and its a knee jerk reaction that someone will say "buy a brooks". I have 8 bikes and dont use Brooks on any of them now. Test ride a Brooks by all means but look at other saddles as well.
Brooks saddles certainly do divide "arses". If only we had a pithy portmanteau word that we could use to debase it into some sort of political debate..
Wait, how about Brooksit? (Brooks-sit? Geddit? Suit yourselves)
I'm definitely in favour of Brooksit, and taking a leaf out of the brexiteers' manual, everyone who disagrees with me is a snowflake and should shut the arse up, cos if i shout louder then i must be righter than everyone else :smile:

Sudocreme it is, then.....

:whistle:
spoilsport!

On the original question, have never bothered or felt the need.

And I hate to think what any cream would do to my lycra or whatever.

I just make sure I shower before cycling.

Maybe I'm lucky.

Slick

Guru
On the original question, have never bothered or felt the need.

And I hate to think what any cream would do to my lycra or whatever.

I just make sure I shower before cycling.

Maybe I'm lucky.
The cream absorbs into the skin. :thumbsup:

The cream absorbs into the skin. :thumbsup:
don't believe it does totally.

Not without serious rubbing - takes me long enough to get out the door as it is without all that palaver.

Undercarriage lube does seem to be a major concern for many - bit surprised no one has come out with a variant of the thing I think was called a scotoiler to continuously apply lube (in its case to a chain/rear mech I think).

Top Bottom