recommend presta valve road tube 80mm stem WITHOUT removable core

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Looks like a Halfords valve too
Is that a good or a bad thing....?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Haven't had any problems yet using the floor pump, although not had a reason to to use the bike pump yet. Just assumed that they may have taken this into account when designing the valve.
What they've taken into account is pro race mechanics pulling the cores to deflate the tyres*

*this may be an urban myth.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
and I've tightened them and applied nutlocking compound. By Lezyne pump tube still unscrews them.

Am considering superglue. ;)
Do you realise that you only need to screw the pump on far enough to seal, not so far that it pushes on the core shoulder and so bites the core threads? If a seal's not forming without screwing it right the way on, I'd be wondering if the washer in the head is too thin, possibly from old age, or if it's just an incompatible pump/valve design combination.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you realise that you only need to screw the pump on far enough to seal, not so far that it pushes on the core shoulder and so bites the core threads? If a seal's not forming without screwing it right the way on, I'd be wondering if the washer in the head is too thin, possibly from old age, or if it's just an incompatible pump/valve design combination.
^This

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As Lezyne themselves say here...

On presta valves with a removable valve core: Before use with pump, remove valve core

and apply small amout of LOCTITE thread locker to valve core threads. Reinstall valve core

and securely tighten.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd be blaming the pump if it's doing it with multiple tube brands, though... apart from a widely-discussed bad batch/version of Contis, I've not had it happen.
The only removable core tubes I own are Conti's. But if they feel the need to put "get yer Loctite out lads" in the pumps instructions...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've not found one, yet.
Topeak Road Morph, best pump ever. I got mine from Martin Webster (at 'Websters Cycles') and he told me he'd never looked at them (despite selling them)...........................His verdict "Fantastic pump, now I don't need to stick my trackpump in the bikebag when going on holiday"

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Topeak Road Morph, best pump ever. I got mine from Martin Webster (at 'Websters Cycles') and he told me he'd never looked at them (despite selling them)...........................His verdict "Fantastic pump, now I don't need to stick my trackpump in the bikebag when going on holiday"
Even uglier than me. And that takes effort. ;)

Top Bottom