Recommend Some Good Films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Plenty of French language films already mentioned upthread

Yeah, I listed Ronin:laugh: and Leon

Reactions: C R

slow scot

Veteran
"Once Upon a Time in the West" is possibly my favourite film of all time, not just because it is Sergio Leone at the height of his powers, but the music by Ennio Morricone is Operatic in scale. It's a western, but not a western in the normal meaning of the term; and Henry Fonda plays a role so unexpected it kicks you in the teeth.
I say "possibly" my favourite all time film, because "Diva", a French movie I love, competes closely for my top spot.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Moon
Predestination
Silent Running

All sci-fi, sorry :-)
Nowt wrong with a decent sci fi, silent running is a classic as are
The day the earth stood still - Michael Rennie not the drivel that Keanu Reeves did
Close encounters of the third kind
Her
Sunshine
Gattaca
Akira
12Monkeys
Ghost in the shell
A scanner darkly
Blade Runner

And a non sci fi list :smile:
The seven samurai
The searchers
The man who shot liberty valance
To have and have not
Casablanca
The African queen
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
To catch a thief
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Die Hard
Enter the dragon
Ip man

The list is not exhaustive :smile:
I will leave this here, my favourite film although the sequel left me cold

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJJ0uxigVA

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
"Once Upon a Time in the West" is possibly my favourite film of all time, not just because it is Sergio Leone at the height of his powers, but the music by Ennio Morricone is Operatic in scale. It's a western, but not a western in the normal meaning of the term; and Henry Fonda plays a role so unexpected it kicks you in the teeth.
Great, great film. As you say, Fonda plays such a good role. And that haunting harmonica.
Charles Bronson also brilliant.

Zofo

Veteran
Best Western of all time – IMO-has to be The Good The Bad and The Ugly simply a classic film with a brilliant soundtrack as well. The final climactic scene with the Mexican stand-off gunfight still gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Enjoyable the spaghetti westerns may be, especially those which are remakes of Japanese samourai movies, I still think High Noon is a contender for the greatest western

Top Bottom