Recommend Some Good Films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The extended Lord of the Rings trilogy if you want to see the original epic fantasy novel given the proper treatment.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I love threads like these that give wee snippets about films (De Niro hanging onto the steering wheel for instance)

Lot of films already mentioned but I'd add -

The Man Who Would Be King - Caine and Connery at their best imo
Trainspotting - with the exception of Ewan Bremner's RSAMD delivery, this film absolutely nails Leith dialect.
I like mob films, Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface, Once Upon a Time in New York all mentioned but I'd add Donnie Brasco to the list. Depp shows he can do the serious roles well too and the look on Al Pacino's character's face (Lefty) when he discovers Depp is FBI is a classic.
The African Queen - Bogart and Hepburn at the very height of their powers

An evening spent watching any of them again would be well spent

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Aaah. Forgot about Michael Caine. Thanks for the reminder. Must add his Harry Palmer films to my re-watch list.

Nor don't forget the early Maurice Micklewhite classic - Get Carter. Rewatched it recently, and it absolutely stands up. A great movie, a quietly towering central performance, and as a significant bonus, an absolutely fascinating glimpse into that foreign country called the past.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love threads like these that give wee snippets about films (De Niro hanging onto the steering wheel for instance)

Lot of films already mentioned but I'd add -

The Man Who Would Be King - Caine and Connery at their best imo
Trainspotting - with the exception of Ewan Bremner's RSAMD delivery, this film absolutely nails Leith dialect.
I like mob films, Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface, Once Upon a Time in New York all mentioned but I'd add Donnie Brasco to the list. Depp shows he can do the serious roles well too and the look on Al Pacino's character's face (Lefty) when he discovers Depp is FBI is a classic.
The African Queen - Bogart and Hepburn at the very height of their powers

An evening spent watching any of them again would be well spent

Whole weekend..some great films there.
Pulp fiction to get in the mood,. Get Medieval on your Ass

Le Mans
Grand Prix
Days of Thunder

I believe I did also mention Rush previously. A little factoid about that particular film, is that one of the extras is BTCC driver Rob Austin, who was driving his own classic F1 car in the race scenes.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I could but they would be French so I won't.

Mrs M

Guru
Watched Mary Poppins on Christmas Eve, thoroughly enjoyed it, singing along, lol :blush:
Also liked:-
Oliver
Mrs Doubtfire (always has us in stitches)
Con air
Secretariat
Goodfellas
My Cousin Vinny
True Grit (John Wayne version)
The Birdcage
Schindler’s list
The Great Escape
Identity Thief
The Heat
Houseboat

One I enjoyed v much recently was Dawn Wall.
So, nice glass of Bolivian red in front of me and (don't shoot me!) just turned off Jaws to watch Eng v Windies... life don't get much better than this.

Top Bottom