Recommend Some Good Films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember reading about the car chase,it was filmed with right hand drive cars with fake steering wheels I think.So a stunt driver could drive and DeNiro could genuinely shat himself !
Bullet and French connection spring to mind for car chases
That's right, was just going to post that. You can see DeNiro genuinely wincing in the Paris chase scenes.
Skip Sudduth did his own stunts. Frankenheimer told him 'I don't want to see any brake lights!'
Over 300 stunt drivers were employed and 80 cars destroyed.
If you like car chases it's epic.

Adam4868

Guru
That's right, was just going to post that. You can see DeNiro genuinely wincing in the Paris chase scenes.
Skip Sudduth did his own stunts. Frankenheimer told him 'I don't want to see any brake lights!'
Over 300 stunt drivers were employed and 80 cars destroyed.
If you like car chases it's epic.
Thought they drove like that in Paris anyway ?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Goodfellas - its just class, best mob film ever.
Dawn Of The Dead (1978 original) - just awesome, watched it when I was about 10 on VHS, scared the crap out of me. A superb film, one of the first video nasties, as they called them back then, the best in my opinion.
V-For Vendetta - Just class, I think this country needs a revolution, its a great film.
The Matrix - It can be watched as an action film, or a film with a an underlying message, or both. It's awesome, I kind of think this life could be actually be the Matrix, all the control etc.
Braindead - Forget Lord Of The Rings, thats a pile of boring sh1te. Peter Jackson used to make excellent films, this is just awesome, funny splatterfest, what more could you ask for..
Evil Dead 1 & 2 (forget the remake) - Another excellent director that sold out. Just complete class, the imagination, humour that went into these films is awesome.
Mad Max - I love the original first film, watched it on VHS way back then, its a class film, Mel Gibson's only decent film, along with Mad Max 2. Some of the acting is suspect, its pretty grim, some lovely old Kawasaki's, what's not to like...

Slioch

Guru
This threads got me thinking about stuff I must watch again sometime, such as...

Far From The Madding Crowd - the original one with Julie Christie, Alan Bates and Terence Stamp. I am a great fan of the Thomas Hardy novels and always felt this film was a pretty accurate representation of the Wessex he was trying to portray.

The Wicker Man - again, the original one with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee. A scantily clad Britt Ekland didn't do the film any harm either imho.

Airplane - Pure genius. The first time I saw this I nearly wet myself. The nuns standing in line to slap the hysterical passenger. The pilots called Roger and Over. That line "have you ever seen a grown man naked?" (bet you couldn't get away with that these days).

Venod

Eh up
No Country for Old Men
Pricilla Queen of the Desert
The Pianist
Sliding Doors
Girl On A Train
The Lady In The Van.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Notorious as gratuitous filth according to much of the press of course at thentime, but .yes, a great and serious film.
I have seen it with the deleted 'rape of Christ' scene and to be honest I don't think the film loses anything by its omission.
Famously Ken Russell stormed out of a talk show when a censor insisted there was a scene in the film where Reed's testicles were crushed which did not exist, as he left he twatted the censor with a newspaper. When he was asked if he regretted doing that, Russell commented 'I regret not putting an iron bar in the newspaper first'.
I guess that's testament to cinema's ability to make you think you've seen something you haven't, as testicular torture is very heavily implied. You'd think a censor would be wise to that sort of artifice though.

If you enjoy Escape From Alcatraz, check out the French original, A Man Escaped.
Similar to the Magnicent Severn/ Severn Samurai, many people prefer the b/w funny language inspiration for the Hollywood classic.

Levo-Lon

Guru
This thread needs more chick flicks :laugh:

A Fish Called Wanda
Four Weddings & A Funeral
Notting Hill
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society

Fish called Wanda..10/10

The apology from Cleese :laugh:
I must have watched it 10 times, and will again.

Also your shout for Mississippi burning..superb film, Powerful disturbing and brilliant acting

Top Bottom