Recommend Some Good Films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Naked by Mike Leigh. It's considered a travesty that the central character, David Thewliss didn't get an Oscar for best actor in this film.

Heckler

Hell or High Water.

A genuine under the radar masterpiece from 2016. A typically excellent performance from Jeff Bridges, but a wonderfully understated effort from Chris Pine who really proved he could act with this.Ben Foster is wonderfully menacing. Slow paced but nevertheless compelling plot, the whole film building to a fabulous crescendo, and ending with an utterly unexpected and brilliant confrontation between Bridges and Pine. The whole package is rounded off with slick imagery and a great soundtrack.

Seriously, get some beer and salty snacks on stand by this is one hell of a film.

Incredibly good cinematography, almost every shot has a failing business or a crisis loan billboard in the background, it's quite the political film as a result. It's a poem to a Texas that is slowly fading away, with small towns and branch banks and two lead characters that respectively represent two faces of Texas past, the out of his time lawman and the working Joe who reluctantly turns to crime to survive.

Yeah it's good and dat.

Two other 'westerns' that I've really enjoyed recently are Bone Tomahawk and The Salvation, both worth a look.

I forgot to list the Porridge film with the celebrity football match.

I love it even more than the wonderful series episodes.because it has no canned laughter.

The opening scene where the new screw is getting dressed in front of the mirror is sheer genius. He finishes knotting his tie and straightening his jacket and hat - the camera pans back and he hasn’t put his trousers on yet. :laugh:

My favourite film The Devils by Ken Russell,.
Notorious as gratuitous filth according to much of the press of course at thentime, but .yes, a great and serious film.

slow scot

Veteran
@C R has jogged my memory mentioning a French comedy film. The Jacques Tati films are always worth a watch particularly Monsieur Hulot's Holiday. Trafic is good also.
You beat me to it! Any Jacques Tati film is brilliant. " Monsieur Hulot's Holiday" is the place to start, and go from there into his hilarious world. Won't be to everyone's taste, but personally I've seen no one to surpass his humour.

Heckler

Notorious as gratuitous filth according to much of the press of course at thentime, but .yes, a great and serious film.

Famously Ken Russell stormed out of a talk show when a censor insisted there was a scene in the film where Reed's testicles were crushed which did not exist, as he left he twatted the censor with a newspaper. When he was asked if he regretted doing that, Russell commented 'I regret not putting an iron bar in the newspaper first'.

Top Bottom