Recommendations for a commuter jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I'm looking for something that is;

visible (day and night)
waterproof
breathable
with front pockets (for phone/keys/wallet)

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
For what temperatures?

I’d go for red or bright blue with lots of reflectives. Like an Altura night vision type jacket if for winter

Oh and what’s your budget? Waterproof and breathable costs

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You actually need 2 jackets.

This for when it is tipping down and horrible.....
upload_2018-1-29_22-24-8.png

Something like this for when it is cold, windy and dampish.

upload_2018-1-29_22-28-11.png

You may notice I have gone for black! This is not accidental. Experience has taught me that hi-viz is worthless. You will get treated just as badly and drivers will fail to see you just as much in the eye-burning stuff. Black always looks good while hi-viz looks like dirty old crap after about 2 weeks of commuting.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
If you find a jacket you like the features of you can always do what I did and buy a roll of reflective fabric to sew on it. Mine came in the mail today, I plan on sewing it to the bottom hem and around each sleeve (so turns can be seen) and possibly around the edge of the hood. Already had the jacket.

CitroenCrazy

Veteran
With all due respect to I Like Skol, I think it's madness to wear black. ALL my commuting gear, at least above the waist is high vis.
I have a Proviz Switch jacket for winter commuting. It's reversible; high vis for dusk and dawn, fully reflective for riding in the dark - 90% of my commute is on unlit roads.
It's deliberately cut loose to cut down (not eliminate) oveheating, so it's not a racing jacket.

I can't control what other road users do, I can only stack the odds in my favour as much as possible, and that means making myself as visible as I can under all conditions. For me no amount of lights and reflective gear is too much.

I do sympathise with the buy two jackets approach, the Proviz is too heavy and bulky for year-round use, I have an ultralight (fluorescent) waterproof for the better months.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Whatever you get, wash the zip frequently or it'll corrode and seize from accumulated salt in your sweat.

In my experience there is no such thing as waterproof and breathable.

My waterproof is a Gore Bike coat which is washable, tumble-drier friendly and Nikwaxable (Gore recommend washing and tumble drying). I think it cost a few bob but it's been worth it.

When it's not raining I wear merino layers (Baa Baa bases, Aldi/Lidl jumpers) and a non-specific, Berghaus fleece

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think it's madness to wear black.
Good for you. I think you are wrong. Do you have any proof that drivers spot you, in real-world situations, more often or sooner when wearing hi-viz, other than the 'It stands to reason dunnit?' argument?

Just think a bit about what you are saying. I assume you have lights for when riding on these unlit country roads? If the drivers can't see decent lights on a dark road do you really think they are going to notice your fetching neon clothing? In an urban situation it is even worse due to the multiple contrasting well-lit and unlit/dark areas, one minute the guy in dark clothing disappears in the shadows, the next, the person in the bright yellow cycle kit mysteriously fades from view in an area of illuminated shop windows, car headlights, bus stop advertising boards, bollards, street lighting, reflections off the wet road, etc.....
Basically, there is no good colour to be seen, so you might as well try to look good and concentrate on ensuring your lights are working and your road positioning is appropriate.

I have lost count of the number of black cars I have crashed into at night :tongue:

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good for you. I think you are wrong. Do you have any proof that drivers spot you, in real-world situations, more often or sooner when wearing hi-viz, other than the 'It stands to reason dunnit?' argument?
It doesn't matter whether they see you sooner if they then forget about you and drive into you! Being seen sooner is not what matters.

Personally, I think it's madness to deliberately try to be an invisible gorilla, something that is all bright and reflective and unlike a human, but if you don't like any of the suggested ordinary clothes, either ruin it yourself with reflective add-ons or most manufacturers sell similar things in ugly, because most would prefer to sell more than help people stay safe.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
For what temperatures?

I’d go for red or bright blue with lots of reflectives. Like an Altura night vision type jacket if for winter

Oh and what’s your budget? Waterproof and breathable costs
Cheers,
I'm looking for a year round jacket, a bit of a workhorse. In the rare days we have decent weather I generally wear t-shirts with some hi-viz accessories.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers,
I'm looking for a year round jacket, a bit of a workhorse. In the rare days we have decent weather I generally wear t-shirts with some hi-viz accessories.
Doesn’t exist I think unless you run v hot or v cold

Layers and a waterproof rain cape type thing over the top?

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom