Recommendations for a commuter jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you find a jacket you like the features of you can always do what I did and buy a roll of reflective fabric to sew on it. Mine came in the mail today, I plan on sewing it to the bottom hem and around each sleeve (so turns can be seen) and possibly around the edge of the hood. Already had the jacket.
Or stick on a builder's style hi-viz vest over the top. Cycling events quite often give these out for free, although they're cheap at workwear places.

RE: other posts,
IME, if you do get hit, looking like a radioactive banana makes the subsequent insurance claims simpler.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Altura night vision, I've got 2, wash them and nixwax them maybe twice a year :blush:
I tend to get hot while on the move, even in subzero temperature, so I wear maximum 2 layers under my NV.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another vote for the Altura Night Vision, but don't dismiss the Endura Gridlock as it has under arm zip vents for cooling but only one front and one rear pocket.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In my experience there is no such thing as waterproof and breathable.

My waterproof is a Gore Bike coat which is washable, tumble-drier friendly and Nikwaxable (Gore recommend washing and tumble drying). I think it cost a few bob but it's been worth it.

When it's not raining I wear merino layers (Baa Baa bases, Aldi/Lidl jumpers) and a non-specific, Berghaus fleece
Paramo is as good as it gets at ticking breathable AND waterproof. Expensive but soooo worth it.
I have the Velez light smock. Downside is bulk.

I have the Proviz too. It’s bright, bulky, and a bit boil in the bag, also it’s cold. However for night riding/being seen it’s the dogs doo dahs IF you can live with the downsides.

Now if Paramo made a reflective jacket....

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
This is probably obvious to most of you but maybe not to all. That black Altura jacket is covered in retro-reflectives, like almost all cycle wear, which will light you up like a Christmas tree when a headlight shines on you.

Fluorescents (yellow/orange/pink high vis) don't work at night as they need sunlight, and are irrelevant anyway compared to retro-reflectives and lights.

The value of fluorescents (if any) is at dusk/dawn/low light when it isn't dark enough for lights and retro-reflectives to really pop.

Top Bottom