Recommendations for winter/wet weather tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve always used Conti Gatorskins year round, great puncture protection but others suggest not great in the wet? I’ve not had that experience but don’t push my luck around corners on wet roads. My friend has just asked for winter/wet weather tyre recommendations for his wife’s Cube Agree, I’m a little reluctant to suggest Gatorskins so have already suggested Vittoria Zaffiro Pro which are on offer for £12.99 from wiggle but what would you all recommend?

Forgot to say 700c x 25, I don’t think 28mm will fit..

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
4 Seasons were great for me for a long time until I did a glass strewn commute then used the slower schwalbe Durano Plus.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Durano plus my choice for a winter tyre , I prefer the folding version. But both types have good puncture resistance.

si_c

Guru
I commuted for 2 years 12mi each way in all weathers on Zaffiro Pro tyres, never had a single complaint about them. They are good value, rarely puncture and grip well even in the wet - the only minor gripe I had is that they can get a little hard when it's very cold so become a bit less comfortable. I was getting about 2k miles out of a rear tire and 5k from the front so they're pretty durable too.

That being said I started using Bontrager AW2 tires instead - they have a bit more grip and are a much more supple, comfortable tire with similar puncture protection and a bit more longevity at twice the price:laugh:.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Can i ask about your objections to zaffiro tyres?
i am going to follow this one as i would like to know the answer too , i ran them on a bike for commuting and found them ok .Of course we all have different impressions of tyres like saddles :smile:
TBH i found gators so overated , not that great for protection and slippy in the wet , rubinos better but wore quicker, zaffiros a good balance between and atm the stock tyres that came with my commuter kenda kriteriums actually good on wear and protection but sketchy in the wet .

pawl

Legendary Member
I’ve always used Conti Gatorskins year round, great puncture protection but others suggest not great in the wet? I’ve not had that experience but don’t push my luck around corners on wet roads. My friend has just asked for winter/wet weather tyre recommendations for his wife’s Cube Agree, I’m a little reluctant to suggest Gatorskins so have already suggested Vittoria Zaffiro Pro which are on offer for £12.99 from wiggle but what would you all recommend?

Forgot to say 700c x 25, I don’t think 28mm will fit..

Thank you in advance

I swear by the Michelin Endurance rangeThe winter bike I use the Endurance all season .The summer bike I use the Pro Endurance Good puncture protection Don’t usually ride in the rain but on the occasions I have been out and got caught in the rain no problems with grip

I swear by the Michelin Endurance rangeThe winter bike I use the Endurance all season .The summer bike I use the Pro Endurance Good puncture protection Don’t usually ride in the rain but on the occasions I have been out and got caught in the rain no problems with grip
I put Michelin Endurance on my winter bike last October and had two punctures in three weeks and then another one a couple of weeks later. Too many for me so went back to the heavy but invulnerable Marathon Pluses.

I'd rather have a slightly harder rise than get cold swapping tubes in the wet and cold.

i am going to follow this one as i would like to know the answer too , i ran them on a bike for commuting and found them ok .Of course we all have different impressions of tyres like saddles :smile:
TBH i found gators so overated , not that great for protection and slippy in the wet , rubinos better but wore quicker, zaffiros a good balance between and atm the stock tyres that came with my commuter kenda kriteriums actually good on wear and protection but sketchy in the wet .
question for you cyberknight - can I ask which zaffiro you use? - Vittoria have the most confusing branding known to man - I did think of buying one (can't remember which) from PlanetX recently (that where you got yours?) but ended up just confused.

si_c

Guru
question for you cyberknight - can I ask which zaffiro you use? - Vittoria have the most confusing branding known to man - I did think of buying one (can't remember which) from PlanetX recently (that where you got yours?) but ended up just confused.
The Zaffiro Pro is the one that you want to get, the standard variant is less grippy and comfortable but does wear better. I'm guessing the rubber compound is what's different as well as the folding bead.

Top Bottom