recommendations of inexpensive toolset kit for brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

Anyone has any ideas of pre-assembled one? Or on a part by part basis?
The goal of such toolkit is to perform small to medium repairs such as mounting mudguards, rack, replacing a wheel, etc.
What are the most used tools?
Looking for something relatively sturdy, what would last more than 2-3 times of use.

Now if you would recommend brompton brand toolkit, the one that fits in a frame tube, I would say it is a bit on an expensive side. Idea is great, but I would be afraid to carry such kit in a folded bike, since it could be easily snatched in an overfilled public transportation or in a more crowded places.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So where are you going to carry it? Or would you carry it at all.
Someone snatching it out of frame tube on public transport is a bit far fetched isn't it?

Tenkaykev

Guru
The goal of such toolkit is to perform small to medium repairs such as mounting mudguards, rack, replacing a wheel, etc.
Looking for something relatively sturdy, what would last more than 2-3 times of use.

Now if you would recommend brompton brand toolkit, the one that fits in a frame tube, I would say it is a bit on an expensive side. Idea is great, but I would be afraid to carry such kit in a folded bike, since it could be easily snatched in an overfilled public transportation or in a more crowded places.
If you’re in that situation then take it out of the frame tube and pop it in your pocket.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

So where are you going to carry it? Or would you carry it at all.
Someone snatching it out of frame tube on public transport is a bit far fetched isn't it?
Not really. There were at least 2 cases when I saw someone yelling on public transportation that their phone was stolen. Since brompton is so transportable, there is a possibility to take it a few times on longer trips...

midlife

Guru
I have a few icetoolz tools as I like the price point. They do a home toolkit but probably too much. I carry a multitool thingy sometimes on the bike, Topeak I think it is.

Are you after some tools to work at home?

The Brompton toolkit would always be with you so if you have a puncture you can fix it.

You could just replicate those tools but where will you carry it all ? It is top quality.

Another vote for the Brompton toolkit, it has most th8ngs you need (no chain link extractor), and fits well in the tube, and at the price, is good value for money. Carrying a spare tube makes sense too….
The only thing I carry in addition is a decent pump, with a flexy hose, which helps greatly.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You need a 15mm spanner, possibly an allen key if you have a dynamo front hub, a tube and, if you have a titanium model, a pump or other means of inflation. You may need tyre levers too, and I would advise a pair of latex gloves to make it less messy when dealing with the chain tensioner.

For the rest, a multi-tool will do, but you need one with hex spanners. Real pessimists will carry spare spokes* and an inch of chain.

Alternatively, carry a mobile phone so you can call a taxi.

*some hard riders claim they remove the rear wheel to replace spokes more often than they do to fix punctures. The factory wheels can be rather poorly built.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The absolute basic toolkit would be two levers, some self adhesive patches and maybe a few Allen keys. If you can find a skinny 15mm spanner then great. In a bag, stuffed in the front section of frame :okay:
I'll post up my toolkit once I've retrieved it...

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Have you bought the Brompton yet or are you still considering it as per your other posts?
I am still kicking tyres in virtual world. No, honestly, I need to test one, just don't feel very tempted to spend so much money. As an idea it looks very neat, but in practice it looks like another company in pc equipment with fruit logo, who charges excessive prices just for brand name. Got out of that cult many years ago and I am just fine...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
For things like mounting mudguards and replacing a rack surely you're not looking for something to take with you all the time. Fixing a puncture is a different thing and needs a different toolkit which you would want to carry with you.

But I'd decide whether you're actually going to get the bike before you worry too much about tools :smile:

Top Bottom