recommendations of inexpensive toolset kit for brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I have the Brompton toolkit.
I don’t believe I’ve ever used it. I

it’s neat but considering it’s designed for the Brompton isn’t that useful.

I know of at least one person that’s constructed their own version, held together in (IIRC) an inner tube and carried in the same way.

I have a small seat-mounted bag with puncture kit, adjustable spanner, multi-tool, metal tyre levers (definite addition if you’re running Marathon+).
The reason for this is because I can swap this easily between Brompton, Road bike and MTB.

mitchibob

Über Member
Anyone has any ideas of pre-assembled one? Or on a part by part basis?
The goal of such toolkit is to perform small to medium repairs such as mounting mudguards, rack, replacing a wheel, etc.
What are the most used tools?
Looking for something relatively sturdy, what would last more than 2-3 times of use.

Bone spanner, tyre levers and a half decent multi-tool in a saddle bag with a spare tube or two and CO2 inflator does well for me. Pretty much the same as for my road bike, except I don't need the bone spanner with the road bike, and tubes and levers are a bit more optional with tubeless setup.

Now if you would recommend brompton brand toolkit, the one that fits in a frame tube, I would say it is a bit on an expensive side. Idea is great, but I would be afraid to carry such kit in a folded bike, since it could be easily snatched in an overfilled public transportation or in a more crowded places.

That wouldn't be my worry. I'm just not convinced about the tyre levers they provide to get a stubborn Marathon off.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I am still kicking tyres in virtual world. No, honestly, I need to test one, just don't feel very tempted to spend so much money. As an idea it looks very neat, but in practice it looks like another company in pc equipment with fruit logo, who charges excessive prices just for brand name. Got out of that cult many years ago and I am just fine...
Looks like you’re looking for reasons not to buy
Bone spanner, tyre levers and a half decent multi-tool in a saddle bag with a spare tube or two and CO2 inflator does well for me. Pretty much the same as for my road bike, except I don't need the bone spanner with the road bike, and tubes and levers are a bit more optional with tubeless setup.

That wouldn't be my worry. I'm just not convinced about the tyre levers they provide to get a stubborn Marathon off.
They do, very easily. I've got the Brompton toolkit and spent some of the time during shielding to practice removing and refitting the rear wheel, and removing and refitting a M+ . I can refit an M+ to the rim just using my thumbs, it's relatively easy once you've practiced a few times. The lady who does the Brilliant Bikes YouTube videos demonstrates the technique quite well. I can almost get the M+ off just using my thumbs, it's the last little bit that defeats me.

shingwell

I have the Brompron toolkit and tie some reusable cable ties (eBay!) to the ring spanner so the cable ties are stored within the frame (and you can get them out again!).

I've not yet needed to use the tools 🤞 but it's amazing how useful cable ties can be.

ExBrit

Über Member
Anyone has any ideas of pre-assembled one? Or on a part by part basis?
The goal of such toolkit is to perform small to medium repairs such as mounting mudguards, rack, replacing a wheel, etc.
What are the most used tools?
Looking for something relatively sturdy, what would last more than 2-3 times of use.

Now if you would recommend brompton brand toolkit, the one that fits in a frame tube, I would say it is a bit on an expensive side. Idea is great, but I would be afraid to carry such kit in a folded bike, since it could be easily snatched in an overfilled public transportation or in a more crowded places.

I agree that the Brompton toolkit is currently overpriced. In the States it is selling for around $135 on Amazon and $105 if I'm prepared to drive to Los Angeles (which I'm not). I bought the Tern toolkit which is HORRIBLE - the 3mm Allen wrench is rounded after only a couple of uses. The critical tools you need are a 15mm wrench (spanner), metric Allen wrenches, and something for flats. I'm not sure about a chain tool because if you have to remove a bad link, I don't see how you can get the shorter chain back on. Let me know if I'm wrong on that.

Pairing this wrench or this one with a small Parks multi tool will get you a long way. I have this multi-tool which doesn't have the chain splitter. I'm not sure much need there is for a spoke wrench on a Brompton in the field. Some instant patches, a couple of tire levers, and a pump, and you'll ride home from most mechanicals.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pretty much what I carry for mine, although I stick a Road Morph G pump in my C-Bag rather than carrying a CO2 inflator. I found the Schwalbe levers shaped like their logo stood up well to Marathons.

12boy

Guru
Couple homemade tool rolls with 15mm wrench, 6,5 and 4mm Allens, steel tire irons, self glued patches and a Lezyne pump. Toss one in the bike bag and most stuff can be done easily. My chains all have quick links, and I replaced most of the 10 mm headed bolts with Allens. All of the 6 bikes I ride have some kind of bike bag and the tools work for them all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

For portable one I was thinking something similar here, as Brompton tool is really expensive. But in general I was thinking about in home toolset, (bikehand for example) rather than portable. Bromton is foldable, don't need any extra weight on daily basis. £100+ is a bit steep too, even for at home tool.

berlinonaut

Veteran
For portable one I was thinking something similar here, as Brompton tool is really expensive.
This may be a start but not sufficient as it lacks i.e. the 15mm spanner for the wheels. The Brompton toolset may seem expensive on first look, when looking closely it is not as it consists all tools needed for an unmodified brommi, it is of good quality, it fits perfectly into the frame and you save the time to configure your own tool. Obviously it is no rocket science to configure a personal individual alternative (and this may even be necessary if you modify your Brommi using screws and bolts that are not covered by the Brompton toolset) but at equal quality you won't end up much cheaper and clearly not if your time is of any value.

But in general I was thinking about in home toolset, (bikehand for example) rather than portable. Bromton is foldable, don't need any extra weight on daily basis. £100+ is a bit steep too, even for at home tool.
These kind of sets can be a good start if you do not own any tools. However, typically the tools included are of lower quality (but often sufficient for occiasional home use), there are tools included that you will never need and others you typically do already own while it is lacking others you may or will need. For the quality I assume for that set I'd call £100+ very steep.

bikebikebike2

A Brompton tool kit was described in a YT vid as "Feels good in the hand"
So more than the price is obscene.
Tiny pump, stamped wrench,Y shaped allenKey, 3-4-5, a 2.5mm, a screwdiver and levers w patch kit and/or tube in small pouch
wards off demons and get you home for ˜$20 if you shop it.

Kell

Veteran
Looks like you’re looking for reasons not to buy

They do, very easily. I've got the Brompton toolkit and spent some of the time during shielding to practice removing and refitting the rear wheel, and removing and refitting a M+ . I can refit an M+ to the rim just using my thumbs, it's relatively easy once you've practiced a few times. The lady who does the Brilliant Bikes YouTube videos demonstrates the technique quite well. I can almost get the M+ off just using my thumbs, it's the last little bit that defeats me.

I have to say - I find that astonishing. I struggle to get them on or off with metal levers. I've tried and tried to do it with only thumbs, but don't get anywhere near. You must have thumbs like a blind cobbler.

Top Bottom