recommendations of inexpensive toolset kit for brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I'd also add that not all multi-tools are the same.

Most will get you home in an emergency, but the el cheapo one I bought a while back doesn't lock any of the tools in place when they're pulled out. The other one I've got (not sure of brand) does at least lock the spanners in place.

It's surprisingly difficult to use an allen key or screwdriver, when the 'handle' flops about.

And your 15mm spanner should be able to give you enough leverage to remove a wheel nut that's been on through a UK winter.

mitchibob

Über Member
And your 15mm spanner should be able to give you enough leverage to remove a wheel nut that's been on through a UK winter.
This is a good tip, as while a cheap bone-spanner will do the job 99% of the time, I have snapped one once at the side of the road trying to remove nut off a tandem back wheel that may have been over-tightened with a non-bone spanner (probably by me too :-( ). However, bone spanners are relatively light, and I have used a couple more of the sizes on mine at times during certain tasks, than just get a wheel nut off. Tightening mudguards to reduce rattle for one.

But as the spanner you're going to need to get a wheel off, having one that you know wont likely snap is a good call.

12boy

Guru
I cut down a regular wrench and attached a wooden handle so as to make the grip more comfortable. BTW, it mwy not be wise to crank down on an SA axle as the flats reduce the amount of available threads. Not pretty, but effective.

mitchibob

Über Member
I cut down a regular wrench and attached a wooden handle so as to make the grip more comfortable. BTW, it mwy not be wise to crank down on an SA axle as the flats reduce the amount of available threads. Not pretty, but effective. View attachment 606052
I want the one on the right, but I'm torn with the colour scheme of the one on the left. How dare you tempt us with such tools! Reckon they'll both just fit in my saddle bag! Can you do one with a Dragon on it?

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Sure...the one on the right, I think, was a 9/16th I filed a bit. The "art work" is from Sharpies with polyurethane and was fastened together with JB Weld. Pretty sure the left one was a bit of crab apple branch with twining and amber shellac. Shellac won't work with Sharpies as shellac dissolves the Sharpie. Thanks for your kind words.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Brompton Toolkit.jpg

Tyre levers, a 15mm/9mm spanner from an Aldi bike toolbag, a few sticky patches and a 5mm allen key.
All goes into a ziploc bag and stuffed up the front tube, where the official Brompton toolkit would go.
I usually carry a multitool too, with a chaintool on. I've only once needed the chaintool, but it did save me from a longish walk.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have to say - I find that astonishing. I struggle to get them on or off with metal levers. I've tried and tried to do it with only thumbs, but don't get anywhere near. You must have thumbs like a blind cobbler.
I’m in my 70’s and while I did work “ on the tools “ and had the strength that comes from manual labour, I’ve been retired for about eight years and all of that strength has gone. Look at the Brilliant Bikes YouTube video which shows the lady presenter fitting the M+

ExBrit

Über Member
Ah yes. the universal tool. The others are just for show, really. Oh look at me, I'm all fancy, I have a screwdriver. LOL

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For my Brompton I carry a standard 15mm spanner for removing wheels. Then a puncture repair kit and a spare tube. There is a pump mounted on the frame. I sometimes remember my multi tool kept on my other bikes. But I don’t fret about the latter.

Other than that just periodically (at home) check bolts are tight etc. I have the 3 speed (hub) and feel a chain problem is highly unlikely and don’t carry a chain tool for it. Worst case scenario if something rare and obscure renders it immobile. Is fold it up and get on a bus or train or call a taxi.

You don’t need any special tools for a Brommie when out and about. The 15mm spanner for the wheel axle bolts is about the extent of it. But that would have been common on all bikes before QR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom