Recommended equipment to carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yogiblair

Hi,
I recently got into cycling following back surgery and found that I am really comfortable on the bike. Initially on an old MTB I started putting in the miles.

I ordered myself a new Merida Speeder 200 - flat bar, and I must say I am delighted with it. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I set off for my first adventure at 0800 this morning. Only 4miles in to my journey I got a flat. Boom stopped in my tracks. As Christmas is approaching I had given my wife a list of accessories I would like, saddle bag, tyre levers, inner tubes, mini pump and multi-tool. But in my excitement of getting out on my new bike, decided I would be alright with out these things as it’s new and won’t give me any issues!

I learnt a tough lesson today but luckily when I got home and told my wife I was going to the bike shop to buy stuff, she informed me Santa has been early and all the above magically appeared (to the precise spec I put on my wish list!)

I got out for an hour tonight and my new bike is a flying machine, I am delighted with it.

My questions is, any recommendations on other kit to carry when setting off on a journey?

Thanks!

the stupid one

Über Member
You didn't mention (glueless-or-otherwise) patches, so I'll add those. Handy if you should get a second puncture after putting in your spare tube, or if you can't be bothered to take the wheel off and can reach the puncture by exposing only the affected part of the tube.

Mobile phone.

Spare cash/card.

Joffey

Big Dosser
My top tip (if they will fit in your saddle bag) are a pair of nitrile gloves (or latex) so if you are fixing your bike you don't get your hands filthy and a good few sheets of toilet roll just in case you get caught short at the side of the road.

You can put the gloves on whilst you are wiping your bum if you are worried about germs too!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A couple of wet wipes in a tiny sandwich bag. I always poke my fingers through nitrile gloves and prefer to work with bare hands, and then clean up afterwards with wipes. They weigh nothing and take up no space.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The advice above largely has it covered, but I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the most important emergency item for any cyclist to carry - Haribo! :laugh:

My personal preference is for Tangfastic, but others prefer Starmix. :okay:
You could just chew a puncture patch. They're about the same texture and possibly healthier without the sugar and colours.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I'm reluctant to say not to bother with a chain tool I've only once needed one on the road. And that was my own fault as I'd foolishly pooh-poohed the instruction to use a new special link to put the chain back on the day before. And I'd also foolishly taken the chain off to clean it which is silly.

Ok you might need a chain tool, but where do you stop?..

So, tyre levers, multi tool, spare tube AND puncture kit and pump. Cable ties and tape for bodge ups and that's about it. If I get oily hands then I wipe them in grass and don't bother with gloves or what not.

As an aside, nearly 40 years ago my dad suggested stuffing a rag under the seat to wipe your hands if the chain comes off. I duly pooh-poohed this and he just went on and on about it, then stuffed a rag under the seat without telling me. A while after the rag fell out into the chain jamming rhe tyre into th frame making the bike unrideable 15 miles from home when I'd not bothered with a spanner. I used words !

(edited for spelling and clarity)

Last edited:

crazyjoe101

Spare chain links, or quick-links, whatever you want to call them (and a chain breaker to get rid of the broken link). I've never needed them myself but I rescued a club-mate and his son who was being towed at the time from having to walk back to the cafe and wait for collection. 2 minute stop and the bike was on the road again, way better than changing a tube :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whilst I'm reluctant to say not to bother with a chain tool I've only once needed one on the road. And that was my own fault as I'd foolishly pooh poohed the instruction to use a new special link to put the chain back on the day before. And I'd also foolishly taken the chain off to clean it which is silly.

Ok you might need a chain tool, butt..

So, tyre levers, multi tool, spare tube AND puncture kit and pump. Cable ties ans tabe for bodge ups and that's about it. If I get oily hands then I wipe them in grass and don't bother with gloves or what not.

As an aside, nearly 40 years ago my dad suggested stuffing a rag ynder the seat to wipe your hands if the chain comes off. I pooh poohed this and he just went on and on about it, then stuffed a rag under the seat without telling me. A while after the rag fell out into the chain jamming rhe tyre into th frame making the bike unriedable 15 miles from home when I'd not bothered with a spanner. I used words !
The rag stuffed into the saddle rails is very 'Old school'. :becool:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would add a foil survival blanket. It might sound dramatic but I’ve seen two situations this year when riders in shock after a crash needed covering. In each case all that was available was other people’s clothing. That is until I got my blanket out.

On Friday night all our club members will receive a survival blanket.

Some people carry a CO2 cartridge for better pressure after changing tubes. I don’t currently but I’m changing my mind after watching a friend last week.

Zip ties.
Cycle lock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom