Recommended lights for a rural commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herr-B

I don't have a massive budget - I'd love to spend hundreds of pounds on a light but I don't have that kind of disposable income - all donations gratefully received though. Max about £50. Not fussed about having many features as long as it doesn't shine light in my eyes like my last one.

Thanks, in advance.

OP
OP
Herr-B

Herr-B

Me again. Whilst I'm here - I've got a cheap Aldi track pump that doesn't always switch to the requested valve type within a reasonable time. Should I get another track pump, or a CO2 one to replace?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Me again. Whilst I'm here - I've got a cheap Aldi track pump that doesn't always switch to the requested valve type within a reasonable time. Should I get another track pump, or a CO2 one to replace?

Track pumps and CO2 pumps are made for completely different purposes. A track pump is the go to pump, the one you have at home/shed/garage/workshop/boot of your car and the one you use regularly to get your tyres up to the correct pressure before heading out for a ride. The CO2 pump is a pump you hope you never have to use as its purpose is to be a portable way to quickly re-inflate your tyres following a puncture out on the road.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Keep an eye on 7dayshop - their £5 front light is more than adequate for most roads. Two would be even better.

(Yes - five pounds).

OP
OP
Herr-B

Herr-B

Thanks, I'd been on Torchy's site before but didn't bookmark it. Stuggled to find him on ebay as it's banned at work so I'm using mobile, but found him now and there are a couple of good 'uns in my price range.

@srw - these are rural roads with no street lighting and some very large pot holes (reported almost a year ago!), as much as I like 7dayshop (used them for camera stuff since 2003), I don't think even two would be good enough.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you don't want to risk a fiver, it's up to you, but a single 7dayshop light (3 watt cree) was good enough for me for an 18mph night ride along Lonesome Lane outside Reigate - no street lighting, potholes, overhanging tunnel of trees. My only criticism is that the reflectors are a bit non-directional.

My first experience of them was on the tandem. I'd had on a perfectly adequate Cateye (top-of-the-range about 5 years ago) in the streetlit sections of an overnight ride north out of London. When we hit the A5 I added the 7dayshop light and the difference was startling - the Cateye pool of light had completely been swamped by the 7dayshop light.

OP
OP
Herr-B

Herr-B

. . . these are rural roads with no street lighting and some very large pot holes (reported almost a year ago!)

Re-reported them last week and lo-and-behold they are filled. :highfive:

7Dayshop out of stock so I've gone for Torchy's Cree Q5 twin setup from his ebay account.

Holes filled, lights ordered, pump in hand - a good weekend.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Are the Q5's that Torchy supplies worth the extra cash? You can find a whole range on e-bay for less than £20 (I know most will be pretty crap and last a month at most) Dont mind spending the £40, just like to know that they are superior to the rest of the Q5's listed. Any experiences?

Cyclist33

I ride with a 40 quid Topeak jobbie, that is more than sufficient. To be honest, the darker the ambient light, the less light you need from the bike light. My light is near useless when cycling down a low-lit avenue, but in the middle of nowhere it gives me plenty of light.

OP
OP
Herr-B

Herr-B

Are the Q5's that Torchy supplies worth the extra cash? You can find a whole range on e-bay for less than £20 (I know most will be pretty crap and last a month at most) Dont mind spending the £40, just like to know that they are superior to the rest of the Q5's listed. Any experiences?

For the forty quid I got two torches/lights with bar-mounting brackets, two 18650 lithium batteries (also a converter to fit standard 3xAAA batteries), and a charger for the batteries (2-4 hrs for a full charge). Last night from my living room I focused one on the house opposite (some 30m away), the beam remained nice and compact and was very bright illuminating his wall. I then adjusted the focus to give it a wider beam. I don't think he was in. Considering the price of a lot of lights out there I think the £40 is more than reasonable, I can see what I need to in the road. I am happy. ^_^

Sod's law said that the day they arrived, I got the email from 7dayshop saying that the items were now back in stock. :whistle:

OP
OP
Herr-B

Herr-B

So I went for a 17 mile ride tonight, setting off at dusk, and the lights worked very well - I'd obviously set them right as no passing cars or bikes flashed, beeped, or shouted abuse. They lit the road well and I only found two unseen holes, one at 30+ down a hill, and once just coming into my village - on both occasions they were hidden in slight dips.

Top Bottom