twin CREE Q5 torches c/w handlebar mounts, 18650 batteries and charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I needed some powerful lighting for the Dunwich Dynamo: rural East Anglia in the middle of the night is no place for the usual "be seen" blinker that does in urban settings. Being on a budget, a Far Eastern manufactured torch with a bike mount seemed a likely choice: the likes of Hope et al are just too expensive for me.

I can't remember where I learned of Torchy The Battery Boy, but I'm glad I did: there is a great deal of choice out there and very little objective information about quality and performance. Torchy not only puts a selection of torches up against "proper" bike lights, but also has had batteries and chargers tested for safety and efficiency.

In short, you can have better performance than many of the big brands' offerings for less than half the price. Your major concern should be with the safety of the batteries and chargers: not surprisingly, quality varies widely and a CE Approved mark is no guarantee.

Torchy also retails on eBay as big_f_d_d (something he is quite candid about and acknowledges the potential conflict of interest) and I decided on a pair of Q5 with 18650 batteries and charger which he sells for a penny shy of £40. I prefer a twin set-up (as I have at the rear) for redundancy, versatility and because being slightly unusual it is more attention grabbing.

Not being able to buy them until the week leading up to the DD, I asked if he could post them 1st class at my expense: he did post them as requested, but didn't charge me!

As well as the torches you get two solid, rotatable handlebar mounts with rubber shims so they are suitable for standard and oversized bars: I had mine slung under the bars and they didn't budge once over some pretty ropey roads.

Although they come with 18650 batteries (and adaptor sleeves), you also get holders for three AAA batteries with gives you options for extended stints away from a charger. The batteries took a good six hours or so to fully charge: the lights on the charger changing from red to green when finished.

I mostly rode with the lights on low power (steady not flashing), with one zoomed in and one zoomed out (zooming both in when traffic approached); depending on conditions I switched one, or sometimes, both on to full power. I switched them on around nine o'clock and off once it was good and light and they were both still going strong.

As to performance, I was able to ride at full speed in complete darkness and riders in front were alerted to my presence by the beam (on low): I couldn't ask for much more.

All told, I am more than happy with both the product and service.

Photo-0002.jpg

Mike!

Guru
I am toying with a set of something similar for the commute from next winter, due to my cummuter having cross top leavers I don't have much space on the bars for clamps, those don't look too wide though.

Will have to catch up with you sometime and take a look if you don't mind!

musa

Über Member
i got cree q5 which i bought off a guy then i was able to source them from china came to £10.50 (for rear and velcro clamp too) was about 6 7 pounds but you'll have to bare the wait of delivery...i prefer the velcro clamp

HovR

Über Member
Nice setup (and nice bike!). I bought a far eastern Cree XML-T6 torch a while back which I've reviewed on here. The thing is insanely bright, very tough, and still going strong.

As you said, though, the cheap 18650's are of dubious quality. I don't leave mine charging unattended or whilst asleep, especially since what appears to be some burn marks started appearing on the tops of the batteries!

lukesdad

Ive used a twin set up for both road and mtb keep back up batteries charged in my back pocket. Can't beat em IMO the best charger ive found and safest is the ultrafire one. I think from memory this was on torchys advice.

D

Deleted member 1258

I am toying with a set of something similar for the commute from next winter, due to my cummuter having cross top leavers I don't have much space on the bars for clamps, those don't look too wide though.

Will have to catch up with you sometime and take a look if you don't mind!

Might be an Idea to mount them on a handlebar extension like this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/minoura/swing-grip-extension-bracket-90mm-ec006327

My fixed commuter, Pearson Touché, has bullhorns on it and I ran out of space so I mounted one of the front lights on an extension.

http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/daves-bikes.11/view

Wades

How are you getting on with these now Mr. Suffolk?

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
To be honest, they haven't had much use: I use a pair of clip-on "flashers" around town and I haven't done any more night rides.

With Winter looming I'll be using these on all day rides which take me into the unlit countryside.

Presumably you're looking at lights for Winter?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Torchythebatteryman does a very similar pair of Cree XM-L T6 torches for similar money. I'm running them on the commuter. Have been for a couple of weeks, so far so good.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The torch fell out of the holder? I had mine slung upside-down on the bars (see photo above) for 250km without issue.

Try Torchy for replacement brackets, I've found him to be first class for after-sales service.

musa

Über Member
Yh torchy has these Velcro ones I use one of them bit wobbly but stays in place a fiver each from t

You can get from china half the cost but twice the wait

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Are these the same as mine, from Torchy?

Although the holder and bracket are two separate pieces (so as the torch can be rotated), they are permanently riveted together.

If yours came apart, it was faulty and should be returned to Torchy for a refund or replacement.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The ones torchy does, as shown in his ebay shop attached to your torches are great mounts though I find one does foul my cross top lever.

Top Bottom