recording a 24 hr ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was fairly sure that a USB OTG cable was about connecting using a tablet's mini USB socket as if it was a full size one (so irrelevant on this like Garmin computers that don't control USB devices) and nothing to do with charging but several of you seem to be saying it is so I'm doubting myself now!

wajc

Veteran
I was fairly sure that a USB OTG cable was about connecting using a tablet's mini USB socket as if it was a full size one (so irrelevant on this like Garmin computers that don't control USB devices) and nothing to do with charging but several of you seem to be saying it is so I'm doubting myself now!

If you want to charge a Garmin 500 then you definitely need an OTG USB cable if you want to charge and record at the same time.

Plugging in a standard USB cable and connecting to a power bank when the Garmin 500 is recording results in the Garmin 500 entering charge mode only. Remove the cable and it powers off.

I've seen this topic discussed several times on various websites and forums and this particular 'feature' does seem to be restricted to the Garmin 500. I've heard many people offerring the 'useful' info that a standard cable works with their Garmin - which might be a 530/800/830 or whatever other version they have.

D

Deleted member 26715

OTG USB cable
It's this forum wonderful, I have been involved in computers 35 years & never heard of one of those before, I should add I've just Googled it & I'm none the wiser

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you want to charge a Garmin 500 then you definitely need an OTG USB cable if you want to charge and record at the same time.
Plugging in a standard USB cable and connecting to a power bank when the Garmin 500 is recording results in the Garmin 500 entering charge mode only. Remove the cable and it powers off.
Authoritive statement ^^^
An OTG mini-USB cable and a male/male connector - duct-taping the two items together:
1595608736676.png

In retrospect I would have got a slightly longer cable (this one is 10cm).

Last edited:
Top Bottom