Recording miles on a Turbo on Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have just purchased a turbo trainer and want to record my training data into Strava. Now I know eventually I will need a cadence or HR monitor but as I am just starting out I have a cheap wired cycle computer that I was going to use to record time and distance on the back wheel.

Should I be using the distance info on Strava? I know I am not travelling any distance but my bike's wheels are turning and that will cause wear and tear. If anything recording the distance will help me monitor that.

So, if I do a 30 min turbo session and my back wheel turns the equivalent of 10 miles and I cheating Strava by inputting that I did 10 miles or should I just be inputting that I rode for 30 mins?

Thanks!

uclown2002

Guru
Fill your boots! I upload miles recorded on my Garmin.

How do you upload miles to strava from a turbo? I use a garmin 800 with a cadence sensor but only seem to to get time and cadence readings, not milage as the unit recognises I've not actually gone anywhere!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How do you upload miles to strava from a turbo? I use a garmin 800 with a cadence sensor but only seem to to get time and cadence readings, not milage as the unit recognises I've not actually gone anywhere!
If you had rear wheel speed sensor also attached, then you would get mileage too

uclown2002

Guru
As above you need a spoke magnet to pick up the speed reading. I disable GPS but not sure whether it is necessary.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Leavinf gps on is fine as you can tag the ride on strava as a stationary trainer.

You then get the graphs for temp speed hr cad

Travs

The only thing it doesn't count towards is challenges. you do have to get out on the road for that. But you don't have to give a hoot about them if you don't want.

Travs

In response to mine or the overall thread?
Mine was tried and tested I think unless the movement can be logged by GPS Strava sees it as a stationery trainer and doesn't count the pseudo-distance. Pity but more than understandable. These are easy miles comparatively - no gradient and no headwind!

jarlrmai

Veteran
Remember that the distance is merely a value as to how many times the rear wheel has turned it does not equate to road miles as the resistance is not necessarily the same.

So it's a pretty meaningless stat.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I have just purchased a turbo trainer and want to record my training data into Strava. Now I know eventually I will need a cadence or HR monitor but as I am just starting out I have a cheap wired cycle computer that I was going to use to record time and distance on the back wheel.

Should I be using the distance info on Strava? I know I am not travelling any distance but my bike's wheels are turning and that will cause wear and tear. If anything recording the distance will help me monitor that.

So, if I do a 30 min turbo session and my back wheel turns the equivalent of 10 miles and I cheating Strava by inputting that I did 10 miles or should I just be inputting that I rode for 30 mins?

Thanks!
Don't worry about it it's your strava account I put mine on..

Top Bottom